Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Pentax MEF Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Pentax MEF « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Oscar
Tinkerer
Username: Oscar

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, December 12, 2010 - 07:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I cleaned the glass with the focus ring in the mirror box of my MEF, with lens tissue and solution. It must have had a coating and this is now removed, the view finder shows it badly smeared. Does anyone know where I can get a replacement part or repair; desperate. Thank you.

Mareklew
Tinkerer
Username: Mareklew

Post Number: 210

Posted on Sunday, December 12, 2010 - 08:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Let me gat this straight:
You cleaned the focusing screen with a lens tissue and lens cleaning solution?

Bad news is, this focusing screen is a fixed one - not easily user replaceable. If you ruined it by using a solvent that actually attacked the plastic, then you are in.
If the problem is only by cleaning liquid still sitting in the ridges of the fresnel structure, then it might go away after few days of drying.

Note for the future: first read, then act. Focusing screen is neither glass, nor it is smooth to clean by rubbing it with some cloth.

Actually I believe theres a note in every user
manual never to touch anything within the mirror box - and this note is there for a reason...

Marek

Donnie_strickland
Tinkerer
Username: Donnie_strickland

Post Number: 98

Posted on Sunday, December 12, 2010 - 09:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What solution did you use? That screen is plastic, so if you used Windex it's probably ok, but those screens are difficult to clean unless removed from the camera, and I'm afraid the MEF's screen isn't easy to remove.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration