Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Minny XG-M shutter will not remain co... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Minny XG-M shutter will not remain cocked « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Christopher_walrath
Tinkerer
Username: Christopher_walrath

Post Number: 3

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, December 15, 2010 - 08:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

OK. This is a strange one, even for me. I have this XG-M that I cannot test to see if it any good until I get past the first and, prhaps, only problem. But this is a weird one, indeed.

Fresh batteries. LED's light up in Man and Auto and the M light. Battery check is fine. Shutter will not release in any mode because it will not remain cocked in any mode. Wind-on lever operates smoothly. Auto, all speeds, w/ and w/o timer. Holding the camera oriented with lens away and prism housing facing me, I wind on and when I release the lever it goes to the point where you can just see the exposure indicator arrow in the window above the lever in its travel back when the shutter resets to the left. I cannot discern any gap in the shutter curtains and they reset all of the way over as though exposure was made normally. If I return the lever slowly, with tension, the curtains will reset to about 20% away from the left side. No gap. The inner curtain edge is hidden beneath the outer curtain edge. If I wind and release normally, the curtains move right and the reset all of the way. So they do not seem to be jamming. Their travel is normal to my estimation.

I have a few leads.
IC3(1)
HIC (4,5,6)
SW4
Flex Board (1,3,13)
SW12
4 different wires.

Has anyone cured this plague before I get ready to do what I am about to do? The only reason I am going to attempt this myself is to learn how to do it as it is a boat anchor right now and some screwing around with it won't make things less operable than its present state of NON-operable.

Whaddy'all think?
I hope I provided enough information.
Thanks in advance.
And emails welcome.
[email protected]
ChrisW

Monopix
Tinkerer
Username: Monopix

Post Number: 180

Posted on Thursday, December 16, 2010 - 02:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Why do you suspect the items you listed? Do you have a manual that suggests these?

I would think the problem is not electrical as the shutter should cock and latch without power (shouldn't it?). Depends what latches the shutter. Could be a mechanical latch or a combination magnet. I'm not familiar with the camera but it just doesn't sound electrical to me.

Monopix
Tinkerer
Username: Monopix

Post Number: 181

Posted on Thursday, December 16, 2010 - 02:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just did a search. Check this thread. Someone had the same problem and fixed it.

https://kyp.hauslendale.com/classics/forum/messages/6900/4150.html

Always worth searching the archives.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration