Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Minolta AL-F non working meter Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Minolta AL-F non working meter « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Roger_thoms
Tinkerer
Username: Roger_thoms

Post Number: 2

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, December 19, 2010 - 08:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, First of all I would like to introduce myself as I am new to the forum. I just got an AL-F of ebay and although the camera appeared to be in nice shape the meter is not working. I decided to open up the bottom of the camera and low and behold the wire that connect to the battery terminal has broken. I suspect due to battery corrosion. I have cleaned everything up and need to solder the wire.

My question is regarding stripping the wire. It is very thin and fragile looking and any advice in stripping it would be helpful. I'm worried that if I'm not careful the wire will end up too short.

Roger

Battery holder

Ron_g
Tinkerer
Username: Ron_g

Post Number: 58

Posted on Monday, December 20, 2010 - 05:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You can splice another piece of wire on to what you have now to lengthen it.The issue with older cameras is that often the wire will be corroded and unsuitable to solder to without stripping it back some distance from the broken end which will then make it too short for the connection.The choice that you then have is to splice a new wire to the existing wire or replace the whole thing with a new wire.Ron G

Br1078lum
Tinkerer
Username: Br1078lum

Post Number: 19

Posted on Monday, December 20, 2010 - 10:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I would completely replace the wire as the corrosion will travel all the way up to the other end, wherever that is (terminal board, meter, etc.). See this all the time on Yashica rangefinders.

PF

Wonloo
Tinkerer
Username: Wonloo

Post Number: 9

Posted on Monday, December 20, 2010 - 02:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Remember to clean the contact points too. Oxidized contact can also affect the meter readings.

Roger_thoms
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Saturday, January 01, 2011 - 03:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks everyone for the info, looks like I'll have to replace the wire, it is quite brittle. Now I have to tear into the top of the camera and I'm a little hesitant. Maybe I'll tackle it tomorrow since I'm headed off to the darkroom for this New Years Day afternoon.

Roger

Roger_thoms
Tinkerer

Post Number: 4

Posted on Saturday, January 08, 2011 - 11:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Actually I realize that the sensor is in the front of the lens. After looking at the camera I'm not sure the best way to get at the other end of the wire. Any hints would be great.

Roger

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration