Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Canon P frame counter Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Canon P frame counter « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Blacknoise
Tinkerer
Username: Blacknoise

Post Number: 11

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, December 20, 2010 - 02:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi there,

The frame counter of my Canon P doesn't work, it is permanently stuck on "S". Other than this, the camera works fine.

Any ideas?

Rob

Nickm758
Tinkerer
Username: Nickm758

Post Number: 31

Posted on Monday, January 02, 2012 - 05:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It's stuck on 'S', do you mean it keeps returning to 'S'? Even with the back closed?

It could be a few problems, but perhaps the small spring that holds one of the frame counter arms has broken. That's what happened on mine.

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 1168

Posted on Sunday, January 08, 2012 - 04:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This is not specific to the Canon P, but in general, if the frame counter sticks at the end of the roll and will not reset to zero, it's just dirty; if it sticks at the beginning and will not advance, either it's jammed on something, the little pawl that advances it is broken, or there's something preventing the pawl from engaging the ratchet on the dial. There are actually 2 pawls: one that advances it, and a second that keeps it from backing up after advancing. Either of these can be the cause of the problem.

Dxqcanada
Tinkerer
Username: Dxqcanada

Post Number: 18

Posted on Saturday, April 06, 2013 - 09:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I realize this is an old thread ... but I thought I would add some info.

My Canon P counter did not reset to S, it was always at 40.

I took the top off and then pulled the counter dial off without thinking (or looking at the Canon 7 service guide), and the wound spring sprung out.

It appears that the spring has hooked ends that catch on the dial and the centre column. In my case the hooked end on the centre column broke off, including other bits of the spring ... this metal is brittle.

I heated the metal and hooked the end ... then wound it back on.

I had to turn the dial around twice to get enough tension (that was not easy), and now the dial returns to S.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration