Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Seeking Olympus 35 RC Suggestions Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Seeking Olympus 35 RC Suggestions « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

R_a_feldman
Tinkerer
Username: R_a_feldman

Post Number: 13

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, December 21, 2010 - 03:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just acquired an Olympus 35 RC that has several problems I intend to address. The shutter operates, but only at one speed, with no B. The rangefinder sometimes works, but at other times does not. When it does not, the lens has trouble focusing to infinity, as though something is blocking its movement. The focus ring of the lens usually seems loose and turns too easily. My question is, what would people suggest I look at to fix the problems? I have downloaded Rick Oleson’s diagrams and the disassembly photos from the Kiev Survival Site, both of which will be very useful.

TIA, Bob

Juliard1
Tinkerer
Username: Juliard1

Post Number: 26

Posted on Monday, February 14, 2011 - 03:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The 35RC is a valuable camera and I suggest you buy the repair manual. If you can't locate one there, I can photocopy mine for you

R_a_feldman
Tinkerer
Username: R_a_feldman

Post Number: 14

Posted on Tuesday, March 01, 2011 - 03:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I finally had time to take off the top of the camera and disassemble it a bit. As I was suspecting, I was not the first person to do so. I also found that the last one before me had lost the small T-shaped piece of metal that fits between the bottom of the shutter speed cam/resister board and the gear escarpment, so changes to the shutter speed dial were not getting communicated to the gear escarpment. I cut a new piece from brass stock and now have the shutter working.

It also looks like the last person to work on the camera tried to resolder the traces on top of the shutter speed cam/resister board. I still need to check out that circuit and the wires to the meter and battery.

Steve_roberts
Tinkerer
Username: Steve_roberts

Post Number: 61

Posted on Friday, March 04, 2011 - 03:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I recently acquired one of these and fixed the meter (simple job - the wire had come adrift from the battery holder). I didn't get involved with the rangefinder, though mine is slightly displaced vertically. My focus ring is also rather looser than I would expect it to be, but I thought it best to regard this as a characteristic rather than a fault!
Steve

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration