Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Minolta Hi-Matic 7 Reassembling Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Minolta Hi-Matic 7 Reassembling « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Lars2010
Tinkerer
Username: Lars2010

Post Number: 9

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, December 22, 2010 - 12:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all,

I have a problem with my Hi-Matic 7. There is one part of which I don't know where it belongs. The first picture shows the arrangement of the parts after I have removed the cover. If I put the parts back like on the first picture and try to put the cover back the brass coloured part (right side 2nd picture) moves freely under the cover. I assume that this is not correct.

I have seen here some recent threads regarding the HM7. So maybe there is someone around who can help me. Many thanks.

Neuberger
Tinkerer
Username: Neuberger

Post Number: 6

Posted on Wednesday, December 22, 2010 - 05:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It sits right underneath the self timer lever with its cut out edge and prevents the use of the ST when the aperture is in Auto mode. The flexible thin sheet metal part is a slide on dust cover for the serrated ST lever sticking out from what you call the "cover".

Lars2010
Tinkerer

Post Number: 11

Posted on Friday, December 24, 2010 - 03:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank You very much for the response. It sounds perfectly logic for me. But I don't find the right spot to place it. It seems to me that there is no place where it belongs....

Do You (or someone else) have a picture or a link where I can see the correct position? Unfortunately the many pictures I have taken during the disassembling show nothing useful.

Do I mess up the shutter or the whole camera if I don't place it back? I mean, I won't use the ST and/or the Auto mode anyway.

Neuberger
Tinkerer

Post Number: 7

Posted on Saturday, December 25, 2010 - 02:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The assumption in your first post was right, this part is not fixed anywhere, this is to say it simply moves back and forth with the ST lever.

Even in aperture auto the iris diaphragm blades are activated mechanically following the reading of the meter's needle trap mechanism, but as there is no photog pushing the button when the ST is running down, the camera would produce overexposed pictures. That is why the ST can neither be cocked in aperture auto nor, if cocked first, can aperture auto mode be selected because this funny little gizmo prevents this.
Your first picture shows how it came out, and it is a cinch to put it back, although it seems "there is no place where it belongs", as you say. You just have to put that part under the ST lever and make the protruding rectangular "nose" face downward, pointing towards the camera, where it rides along in a kind of groove, while the cut out edge on the upper end matches with and takes up the ST lever. Finally, the dust cover slips on easily, and be done with it!
The "cover" around the shutter, with the "Seikosha - LA" on it keeps the whole array in its position.

Nickon51
Tinkerer
Username: Nickon51

Post Number: 137

Posted on Saturday, December 25, 2010 - 07:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Neuberger is correct in his comments and explainations. All I can do is post some photos showing where it "sits" when you put the cover on.

It sits hereAnother viewSeen through the slot with the cover on.

Lars2010
Tinkerer

Post Number: 12

Posted on Wednesday, December 29, 2010 - 03:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you very much guys :-)

Unfortunately I have to take the HM7 to a professional repair shop in my city. The wind lever and the shutter button are jammed. Grrr, I can not fix it myself... I suppose that the clockwork under the bottom plate is misaligned (due to winding with force?). I better stop my repair attempts before I mess up this wonderful camera. But at least I can hand over the camera as one piece.

Neuberger
Tinkerer

Post Number: 11

Posted on Wednesday, December 29, 2010 - 03:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are you really sure they will actually be able to help you? And if so, how much do they charge for the repair?
Let me ask you one question, what was your camera's problem in the first place, that is before you asked for help about the dislodged part?

Lars2010
Tinkerer

Post Number: 13

Posted on Wednesday, December 29, 2010 - 04:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It was the stuck shutter and winding lever. I thought the shutter blades were stuck together with old lube/grease (preventing a full mechanical cycle of the shutter mechanism). But this was not the case. I have an auto S2 which had the same problem. After cleaning of the shutter blades everything worked well. The repair shop claims on their website that they can repair every Minolta from 1958 upwards. They will have a look at the camera and tell me the amount. So there is no risk for me.

Neuberger
Tinkerer

Post Number: 12

Posted on Thursday, December 30, 2010 - 02:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That is good news. I would not expect too much of modern repair shops if I was you. In my understanding the whole lot gathered here just ventured into camera repair because of a certain necessity to do it themselves. I was asking because I usually get cameras after unsuccessful repair attempts; these old Hi-M7's are prone to develop winding issues because of dried lube inside the ratcht system of the winding shaft, this resulting in a number of other problems. In that case the winding cycle is always incomplete, the shutter cannot be cocked and the release button seems blocked. "Winding with force", as you write, worsens the condition. But even then a skilled amateur can put things right again, so my advice would have been get yourself a junker for parts and as a tutoring object and learn to fix that camera, in its present state it is rather useless anyway.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration