Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Contaflex I shutter installation Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Contaflex I shutter installation « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Waynemel
Tinkerer
Username: Waynemel

Post Number: 189

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, December 26, 2010 - 11:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello, I hope everyone has had a good holiday.
I decided to use some of my down time to clean the shutter on my Contaflex I.
I am now, however, having trouble installing the shutter back in the camera.
I have removed it from the body by removing the retaining ring from inside the film chamber.
It was simple to remove, but now the flash contacts seem to be interfering and not allowing the shutter to sit properly.
In the attached photo, does the contact (the bent piece with the plastic cover) look correct?
How is it supposed to fit with the contact on the body?
The funny thing is that I have installed this shutter before on other Contaflex Is, and I don't recall ever having a problem.
Synchro Compur shutter

Connealy
Tinkerer
Username: Connealy

Post Number: 33

Posted on Tuesday, December 28, 2010 - 07:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I recall thinking the same thing when working on my Contaflex. In the end, though, I think it was the proper positioning of the little aperture tabs that was the key to getting the thing back together.

Waynemel
Tinkerer

Post Number: 190

Posted on Tuesday, December 28, 2010 - 08:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Connealy, you are absolutely right!
Once I made sure that the aperture tab was in the right slot, the shutter sat in place perfectly.
I had forgotten that the aperture gear had to be repositioned and then the spring re-wound from inside the film chamber.

Wonloo
Tinkerer
Username: Wonloo

Post Number: 13

Posted on Tuesday, December 28, 2010 - 09:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a question for both Wayne and Mike: I have three Contaflex I SLR cameras (long story why I have three) and none of their shutters can be removed by a retention ring from inside the film chamber. The shutter was mounted on the lens board with 6 screws. I cannot re-wound the aperture gear from the film chamber without taking the lens board out. Is there any way you can show a picture of your camera so I can see the difference.

One more question: did you successfully cure the lazy aperture problem? One of mime (9 blades) is always slow no matter what I did (even over-wound it with two more notches) and the others (5 blades) work at their convenience. :-(

They all work fine with print film but I just want to get them right. Thanks for any help..

Dirbel
Tinkerer
Username: Dirbel

Post Number: 45

Posted on Tuesday, December 28, 2010 - 10:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The actuation ring for the aperture has to be free from oil or grease, otherwise the spring will not be able move it fast enough no matter how much tension you put on it. And guess how I know...

Dirk

Wonloo
Tinkerer

Post Number: 14

Posted on Tuesday, December 28, 2010 - 11:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think we both went through the over lubrication phase. Now, unless I can find out from the service manual where with what (if available on hand) to lube, I leave it dry. The shutter, aperture blades and actuation ring have been cleaned many times and are now bone-dry. Still, sometimes, lazy.

By the way, does your Contaflex shutter removable from inside the film camber?

Waynemel
Tinkerer

Post Number: 191

Posted on Tuesday, December 28, 2010 - 02:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wonloo, I have attached photos from the film chamber. In the first photo, you can see the outer retaining ring (just inside the 6 screws) that holds the shutter in place. In the second photo you can see the the star wheel that tensions the aperture spring.
As far as the lazy aperture blades are concerned, I have had similar issues. This particular shutter was a little slow, so I removed the actuating ring. This can be seen in my original photo. It is held in place by two screws (one is visible in the photo). When removed, the sliding surfaces can be more thoroughly cleaned. You can also see two long, curved slots that also may need cleaning.
Check to make sure the actuating ring is not bent slightly or interfering with anything else.
Also, the gears on the body of the camera, that cock the shutter and actuate the aperture ring must also snap very quickly when the shutter release is pressed. I remember I had to clean these on more than one Contaflex before they operated properly.
I seem to recall that the retaining ring holding the shutter assembly in place should also not be over-tightened, as this may slow some of the movement.

Contaflex1
Contaflex 1a

Wonloo
Tinkerer

Post Number: 15

Posted on Tuesday, December 28, 2010 - 05:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wayne,I just check my camera and yours is the same as mime. I must say you are GOOD. The two screws on aperture spring gear are not directly accessible with a screw driver from the film chamber (not easily for sure). I followed the service manual and removed the whole top, prism and lens board. I will try it next time. That will save me a lot of time. Many thanks...

Waynemel
Tinkerer

Post Number: 192

Posted on Tuesday, December 28, 2010 - 06:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, adjusting the tension can be a bit of a challenge. Use a screwdriver with a thin shaft to minimise the angle.
It can be done, but is tedious.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration