Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Minolta 7S Split-focus problem Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Minolta 7S Split-focus problem « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Teasider
Tinkerer
Username: Teasider

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, December 28, 2010 - 02:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey everyone,
Ive searched the archives for this problem but couldn't find any help.

I bought this camera at a local flee market.

the camera works great (even the light meter)- just one problem , I cant focus using the split focus mechanism , it seems that no matter how I turn the focus ring - the split focus wont go into place.

This actually makes me measure distances by hand\meter\assumption which is very uncomfortable.

Any idea on how to solve this? anyone ran into this problem ?

Thanks in advance!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Neuberger
Tinkerer
Username: Neuberger

Post Number: 9

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, December 28, 2010 - 09:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What do you mean by "the split focus won't go into place"?
Are the yellow bright lines moving, when you turn the focus ring, is there a yellowish centre spot?
The beamspitter array in the older Hi-Matics is somewhat differently designed compared to cameras of the same vintage, there are fewer moving parts, the mirror is non-moving. Instead, the front lens of the eyepiece is driven by a lever underneath that is operated by a metal bar on the upper end of the focus ring.
To be able to find out what has to be done to solve your problem it is inevitabe that find out what is wrong first. I am afraid this is only possible afer you take off the camera's top cap. You can use the archives to find out how to do this and what tools you need; sometimes just cleaning the rangefinder's glass surfaces with utmost care - the silvering on the beamsplitter glas is easily damaged, no scrubbing or wiping - will suffice.
There are cases, however, in which the task is more demanding. Do not turn any screws before you make sure what they are for, there is no definite default position from which you can start again.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration