Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Rolleiflex Shutter Speed - Easy Fix? Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Rolleiflex Shutter Speed - Easy Fix? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Flybye
Tinkerer
Username: Flybye

Post Number: 10

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, December 28, 2010 - 07:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all, I currently have a Rolleiflex c1949-1950. Playing with the shutter, it does stay open with B and immediately closes when let go. With B, Aperture stays open at set position. 1/500 does sound pretty quick and so does 1/250. But as I move the shutter speed dial around closer to 1s, I can hear the timer mechanism inside moving around.

So my question: Is the shutter speed mechanism on these things easy to repair? Honestly, it just sounds like it needs a bit of oil, but what do I know. :-)

Also, how do I remove the viewfinder glass? I removed the hood and tried turning the viewfinder glass from the front, but the booger does not want to budge.

Ron_g
Tinkerer
Username: Ron_g

Post Number: 59

Posted on Wednesday, December 29, 2010 - 02:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The escapement mechanism that controls the shutter speeds is basically a timer that slows the shutter to the speed that you have selected.
It sounds like it might be running a little slow if you can hear it running but without measuring it you can't be sure.Ron G

Flybye
Tinkerer

Post Number: 11

Posted on Wednesday, December 29, 2010 - 07:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, I did measure 1s and .5s. 1s takes 2-3s to close back up. The .5s takes about 1-2s. The rest of the speeds almost feel correct, though.

Brianshaw
Tinkerer
Username: Brianshaw

Post Number: 99

Posted on Wednesday, December 29, 2010 - 10:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Don't bother trying to oil it unless you are willing to tear it apart and clean it too. What the shutter needs more than oiling is a cleaning... to clear out the old congealed oil.

Flybye
Tinkerer

Post Number: 12

Posted on Wednesday, December 29, 2010 - 01:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

But I don't think it is the shutter, though. Just the shutter timer that opens and closes it. If I have it on B, the shutter immediately opens when I press the button, and immediately closes when I let go. It does not act sticky as other sticky apertures that I have seen.

Mattboston
Tinkerer
Username: Mattboston

Post Number: 17

Posted on Wednesday, December 29, 2010 - 02:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,

The shutter timing gears are in the bottom lens housing. You need to remove the front plate to get to this- then the shutter covers. Removing/re-installing the plate is the hardest part of the operation, it is a do-able project if you have plenty of patience.

I thought I had better pictures, but here is the shutter removed from the front lensboard (and the timing removed from the shutter for cleaning, too).

Good Luck,

Matt

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y118/mstott/rolleiflex%20automat%20K4A/IMG_2390 .jpg

Flybye
Tinkerer

Post Number: 13

Posted on Wednesday, December 29, 2010 - 08:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you Matt! Just curious, what type of grease/oil should be used on this?

Mattboston
Tinkerer
Username: Mattboston

Post Number: 18

Posted on Thursday, December 30, 2010 - 07:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I use Moebius watch oils- because I happen to have a lot of them sitting around. Mostly synta-lube 9010 and 9024. But you want to apply whatever you use verrry lightly- just use a small pin to pick up a drop and apply to the point where the gear axles go through the plates.

If you do not have watch oils, then use the lightest oil you can get hold of, you do not want a heavy oil on these pivots, and use synthetics if at all possible. Synthetics will hold up better in cold and heat, and usually do not migrate around the rest of the shutter and lens as easily.

And what everyone else has said- it is important to clean the shutter first, applying new oil over old will often make things worse.
Matt

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration