Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Olympus OM-1n, removing wind lever Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Olympus OM-1n, removing wind lever « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Olympraf
Tinkerer
Username: Olympraf

Post Number: 4

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, December 31, 2010 - 11:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The wind lever on an OM-1/OM-2 is held on using a cap screw. Although there are two holes present in the cap screw, I cannot use any tools with those holes to remove the cap screw. This would damage the trim plate.
So I tried using a large rubber stopper but it was not possible to unscrew the cap. Even with the aid of a two-sided adhesive tape and a lot of downward pressure I could not provide enough friction to unscrew the cap. The cap screw is very tight. Is there anoder method to unscrew it?

Gez
Tinkerer
Username: Gez

Post Number: 244

Posted on Friday, December 31, 2010 - 11:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Applying too much torque can easily shear off the cap head. Try putting some aluminium/kitchen foil on top of the decorator or the bare cap and apply the tip of a soldering iron for a few minutes. The heat will melt the glue that has mistakenly been applied to the thread.

Jab101
Tinkerer
Username: Jab101

Post Number: 2

Posted on Thursday, January 06, 2011 - 08:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The rubber bung methd shown here can work http://olympus.dementia.org/Hardware/tutorials/OM-1CoverRemoval/
but some are really stubborn & I have had to resort to a pair of pliers but mask of the cap with a clean cotton rag .

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration