Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Loose TLR viewfinder lens Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Loose TLR viewfinder lens « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Krumholtz
Tinkerer
Username: Krumholtz

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, January 02, 2011 - 03:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I recently found a Voigtlander Brilliant (1936) at an antique store in Washington state, and have begun disassembling it for cleaning purposes. I removed the upper lens (which took A LOT of elbow grease), and gently cleaned the mount with warm water, soap, and a toothbrush. When I finished cleaning and drying it, I noticed the glass lens was now loose in the mount and had a small chip on the periphery, which subsequently grew larger. There's now a small gap in some hard black material that runs halfway along the perimeter of the mount, which I suspect is glue or ancient rubber. Does anyone have any recommendations for how to once again fix the lens in the mount? I'm considering super glue, mainly because I think it will work and the camera isn't valuable (the viewfinder lens is fixed on this model, no ability to focus). I'd be interested to learn the "proper" method, however. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Hanskerensky
Tinkerer
Username: Hanskerensky

Post Number: 71

Posted on Sunday, January 02, 2011 - 04:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Alas i never handled the Brilliant but just want to give you a quick warning before you go any further. Please don't use super glue, the vapors coming from that can be a hazard for the lens and mirror surfaces.

Krumholtz
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Sunday, January 02, 2011 - 07:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the warning Hanskerensky, I had no idea! I can't go any further on the project until I get a spanner wrench (for the shutter, not the viewfinder lens), so I'll sit tight for now. Any ideas on a lens/mirror friendly adhesive? Really don't want to damage it any more than I already have! Thanks again!

Paul_ron
Tinkerer
Username: Paul_ron

Post Number: 234

Posted on Monday, January 03, 2011 - 07:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Epoxy.

But before you glue anything, find out why there is a gap?

Anyone with this camera may be able to help better describe it to you.

Maybe it's losened via a back retainer? Maybe a wire retainer clip fell out of it;'s slot up front or rotted out?

Krumholtz
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Tuesday, January 04, 2011 - 01:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Paul_Ron, any particular epoxy you'd recommend? As best I can tell, the lens was held in place by a black resin applied to a metal lip that sits behind it. There's nothing mechanical keeping it in place, unless there was and it was removed before I got to it! I'd take a photo, but I don't have a lens capable of bringing it into sufficient focus. Thanks for your help!

Paul_ron
Tinkerer

Post Number: 238

Posted on Tuesday, January 04, 2011 - 02:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Any Epoxy will work. Apply it with a tooth pick n try to be as neat as you can n never try to wipe or you will make a real mess, let is set n pick it off later.

I once worked on a camera that had a metal wire retainer clip holding the lens in. Is it possable to make a metal wire ring for yours insead of gluing? How about using a string jammed in like caming? Glue is so permenant.

Paul_ron
Tinkerer

Post Number: 239

Posted on Tuesday, January 04, 2011 - 02:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Any Epoxy will work. Apply it with a tooth pick n try to be as neat as you can n never try to wipe or you will make a real mess, let is set n pick it off later.

I once worked on a camera that had a metal wire retainer clip holding the lens in. Is it possable to make a metal wire ring for yours insead of gluing? How about using a string jammed in like caming? Glue is so permenant.

Krumholtz
Tinkerer

Post Number: 4

Posted on Wednesday, January 05, 2011 - 07:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'll give the string a try, but I may end up going with the epoxy if it doesn't work. Brilliants are cheap enough that I could always buy another one to replace the viewfinder lens, given that the current lens has a fair amount of scratches anyway. We'll see. I'll post again once I've "fixed" the problem!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration