Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Gluing Canon lens back together? (lik... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Gluing Canon lens back together? (like all the king's men) « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Psurfer
Tinkerer
Username: Psurfer

Post Number: 13

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, January 05, 2011 - 06:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Please excuse my pushing the "Classic" definition of this lens, but it did come to me w/a bunch of actual classic-era Canon gear- FL, FD, and SM. And this issue could be applicable to other late film gear...

see photo of my lil' problem here:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2395751/af%20switch%20copy.jpg

It's a Canon EF 17-35L lens, and the AF/MF switch/cover has fallen off. I think it can simply be glued back in place, as the difficult bit (little metal rectangle) is still attached to the orange flexible electronic strip seen inside the lens. The cover originally must have just stayed put by some now-missing nanometers of plastic.

What kind of glue?
It shouldn't be too permanent, as it may need to be opened up again, but needs to hold strong onto a Very narrow ledge of plastic.

How I'm supposed to determine if it's positioned to mate up before gluing it down, I haven't quite figured out... https://kyp.hauslendale.com/classics/forum/clipart/uhoh.gif

And I *Think I have the cover oriented in the wrong direction in the pic, the little metal prongs L of the screw should straddle a tiny black nib on the L side of the above-mentioned metal rectangle.

Any advice for this maybe one-day-in-the-future-classic plastic is appreciated.

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 885

Posted on Thursday, January 06, 2011 - 05:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Place the switch cover back in position, test the switch action and then run a little low viscosity 'superglue' around the joint. Never mid about getting the cover off again - the rest of the electronics will expire long before the switch needs more attention. Not one of Canon's better optics, so why worry about preserving for posterity?

Psurfer
Tinkerer
Username: Psurfer

Post Number: 14

Posted on Thursday, January 06, 2011 - 03:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Glenn. My only real concern about sealing it up forever is that I get it Right first. (and it still is worth some money)

As far as testing the switch action, here's a dumb question- will the focus ring still turn normally w/the switch in either AF or MF position?
& Even if testing the lens unmounted?

It focuses internally, w/ only a bit of element movement visible.

Mareklew
Tinkerer
Username: Mareklew

Post Number: 219

Posted on Thursday, January 13, 2011 - 11:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

17-35L is ring-USM, no difference in focusing action will be felt irrespective of that switch position. This switch only disables AF drive motor for "MF". In any mode ring action is purely mechanical and no (de)coupling of any mechanical element takes place.
Marek

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration