Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Leitz 135mm Hektor LTM - very tight m... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Leitz 135mm Hektor LTM - very tight mount??? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Fredtheoyster
Tinkerer
Username: Fredtheoyster

Post Number: 4

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, January 06, 2011 - 02:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello Folks,

Just picked up a 135mm f/4.5 Hektor in 39mm screw mount. Suffering from the dreaded fungus and focussing very rough, both of which I feel confident I can cope with.

However - the screw thread is very tight when mounting it on a Leica camera. It's not the camera because other lenses are OK. There doesn't appear to be any damage to the threads and the problem persists after thorough cleaning. Could anyone suggest a possible reason and appropriate solution? Thanks, Jim

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 884

Posted on Thursday, January 06, 2011 - 05:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tight lenses on a Leica screw body usually means that the lenses in question have a 'True' 39mm metric pitch thread. As you will know the 39mm thread used by Leitz was actually an imperial pitch thread - a throw back to the old original English optical standards.

Just why your Hector has this problem is somewhat of a mystery - Has the lens been got at, is it an old Soviet fake? I have no idea what the problem could be caused by. Presumably as you can mount other genuine(?) Leitz lenses on your body, the body is actually of Leitz manufacture and not another clever Soviet fake?

Fredtheoyster
Tinkerer
Username: Fredtheoyster

Post Number: 5

Posted on Thursday, January 06, 2011 - 06:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Glenn,

I'm quite certain the camera is genuine, so too all the Leitz lenses, so that one can be eliminated. The likeliest assumption is therefore that the Hektor is genuine, but has somehow been 'got at'. It was bought, very cheaply, from a reputable UK dealer. I'll try next to examine the thread with more than a naked eye. Wonder if someone had once fixed a mount adapter to it with adhesive or some such, and I simlpy haven't cleaned it thoroughly enough? I'll report back any findings just in case someone else ever needs help with an admittedly obscure problem!
J

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration