Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Lighter Fluid and Optics Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Lighter Fluid and Optics « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Krumholtz
Tinkerer
Username: Krumholtz

Post Number: 5

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, January 08, 2011 - 12:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm in the process of cleaning a 1936 Voigtlander Brilliant, and for the life of me I cannot separate from the shutter mechanism the lens element that sits immediately in front of the shutter/iris. The mechanism is extremely dirty (I found a dead bug inside!), and I'd like to flood it with Ronsonol, but I don't want to damage the optics. I could always flush the mechanism, but I think flooding it would be more effective. Any thoughts? Thanks!

Waynemel
Tinkerer
Username: Waynemel

Post Number: 4

Posted on Saturday, January 08, 2011 - 01:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I haven't heard any cases of lighter fluid harming optics.

Clay
Tinkerer
Username: Clay

Post Number: 41

Posted on Saturday, January 08, 2011 - 03:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I tried to post this just now but it never showed up.Hope this isn't a double post: Lower down this
page is this thread;

https://kyp.hauslendale.com/classics/forum/messages/2/19466.html?1283714606

Best regards,

/Clay

Mndean
Tinkerer
Username: Mndean

Post Number: 241

Posted on Sunday, January 09, 2011 - 08:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The only way I can see of lighter fluid "harming" a lens is if in flooding the shutter, the fluid carries debris/grease onto the lens glass, which then would require cleaning.

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 886

Posted on Sunday, January 09, 2011 - 08:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You will not harm glass optical elements by using Ronsonol, but be aware however that flooding with this solvent will probably leave the lens surface looking very 'streaky/dirty'. The thin layer of dirt on the lens surface, deposited over 75 years, needs a bit of 'rubbing' to remove it - just rinsing with solvent does not do anything.

A word of warning for the future. Unless you are very sure on the purity of the solvent you are using, do not attempt to clean modern optics with aspherical elements made from plastic by this method. Here in the UK I have come across a couple of very iffy solvents recently. I suspect that these bulk, ie 1.0 and 2.5 litre, products available from various DIY outlets are sourced from reclaimed industrial cleaning solvents. Nothing wrong in that for their intended purpose, but the small amounts of acetone in one example and methylene chloride in the other will spell disaster for modern 'plastic' optical elements.

Gez
Tinkerer
Username: Gez

Post Number: 246

Posted on Sunday, January 09, 2011 - 12:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'd like to support Glenn's observation. Ronsonol is at least 90% heptane/octane and won't harm glass surfaces, but paint grade 'white spirits' can contain 30% aromatic hydrocarbons, probably xylenes, and such solvent mixtures can attack the balsam in cemented doublets.

Hanskerensky
Tinkerer
Username: Hanskerensky

Post Number: 74

Posted on Sunday, January 09, 2011 - 12:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have no experience with the Brilliant but sometimes had the same problems with lenses on other cameras. In many cases applying a bit of heat from a hairdryer for some minutes solved the issue.

Applying (NOT spraying) with a needle some MICROdrops of WD-40 or contactcleaner on the edge of the thread and letting that penetrate for a day also can be of help. Don't apply to much because you don't want this stuff creeping to the glasses of the lens.

Until now i didn't have any issues with genuine lighterfluid and optics. As Glenn allready stated you may get streaks but these normally can be removed with i.e. ROR.

Cooltouch
Tinkerer
Username: Cooltouch

Post Number: 66

Posted on Tuesday, January 11, 2011 - 04:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Years ago, I was told by an old-time camera repair guy to use naphtha instead of lighter fluid because it was the same thing and cost a lot less. So I have. Heck, I even use naphtha in an old Zippo lighter I have. Works fine. First I've ever heard about other ingredients it may contain, but I guess I shouldn't be too surprised. Mostly, I use it for cleaning aperture iris blades and such.

The stuff I usually buy is sold by Ace Hardware here in the States, and is called "VM&P Naphtha Pure." I don't think I even own or have come into contact with modern plastic aspherical lenses, but there are other plastic optical surfaces -- like the glasses I'm wearing right now -- that I should be concerned about, I suppose. I reckon I could test some of this Ace naphtha on an old set of glasses and see if anything interesting happens, eh?

Donnie_strickland
Tinkerer
Username: Donnie_strickland

Post Number: 99

Posted on Tuesday, January 11, 2011 - 06:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

All I've ever used is Ronsonol lighter fluid, and I've never seen it to affect any optics I've worked on (which were all glass). I have tried it on modern plastic eyeglass lenses, which had been cracked previously and so were good candidates for testing. It had no visible effect on those either. I have not tried it on plastic camera lenses yet, as I've had none to try.

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 888

Posted on Wednesday, January 12, 2011 - 02:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am not sure of all the US designations for pure, 'single cut' solvents, but do know that Naphtha Pure denotes the 100% pucka stuff.

The two iffy UK examples I mentioned were cheap, too cheap really compared with the market, so another example of 'you get what you pay for' I expect. Still to be fair on the retailers they were not advertised as pure solvent, but neither was the 'reclaimed?' source mentioned.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration