Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Canon Canonet Film Cover Stuck Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Canon Canonet Film Cover Stuck « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Gouranga
Tinkerer
Username: Gouranga

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, January 13, 2011 - 09:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey,

Just got myself a canonet off ebay, but the film cover doesnt open. The film winder is loose, seems to have come off its spring.
I removed the winder, and noticed theres a clip, that probably should have been attached to something. Anyway, how can I remove the film cover?

I cant figure out how to remove the film advance lever and the tripod mount. (It has both of those on the base of the camera + a 45mm lens, think its the original model.

All the dissasembly manuals/instructions ive found apply to the different models, with the winder etc on top of the camera.

Cheers!

Francis_otto
Tinkerer
Username: Francis_otto

Post Number: 44

Posted on Friday, January 14, 2011 - 02:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Somewhere here, I have more Canonets than you can shake a stick at: is it my defective memory, or did some of the early ones have a side-clip that you pulled down to release the film-door catch? If the winder's loose, however, that might be related to your problem, in which case a crochet-hook/dental-probe/ piece of bent wire might be the answer: gently insert, rotate until it engages with the catch, gently pull. Then again, if the light-seals have all softened to a consistency of which the late Mr. Adam (as in 'Tarmacadam')would have been proud, you might have gently to prize (= U.S. 'pry')open the back.

Gez
Tinkerer
Username: Gez

Post Number: 248

Posted on Friday, January 14, 2011 - 02:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If the Canonet is of the bottom winder type, the film door is released by simultaneously pressing the small button and sliding tab on the base.

Gouranga
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Sunday, January 16, 2011 - 06:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ahhh, cant beleive I was so stupid! Thanks!

Also, any idea what the clip is for on the winder? http://img197.imageshack.us/i/mg2302a.jpg/

The shutter is also stuck, Ive read that its a pretty common problem, but im lacking the tools to take the lens apart. I also read that it could be due to the self timer being stuck, on the lens there is this slider that doesnt want to move (moves about 1mm to the left, but not to the right at all). I have no idea what the button is for highlighted in green either, though I imagine its probably got something to do with the lever?
http://img526.imageshack.us/i/mg2301.jpg/

Thanks again, sorry for all the questions :-)

Gez
Tinkerer

Post Number: 250

Posted on Sunday, January 16, 2011 - 08:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The first picture doesn't look familiar but it could be the spring clip that holds the rewind arm in its cap.
The second picture shows the selftimer cocking lever, probably fully engaged, don't try to release it, as it will be sorted out when you clean the shutter. I'm not sure what the other tab is, it is slightly different to the bottom winder Canonet I have worked on. It could be the M/X flash setting.
Now for the 'advice'. All us tinkerers have had to start somewhere and the full-sized Canonets are not difficult to work on, but the bottom winders are such nice models it may not be such a good idea to gain experience on one. Try a beat-up Canonet QL 25 for practice.
To do the shutter cleaning properly the front and rear optical cells have to be unscrewed and the front panel taken off the body, however if the oil contamination isn't too severe just removing the front optical cell and cleaning the shutter and aperture blades with lighter fluid on a cotton tip may provide a workable solution.

Gouranga
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Monday, January 17, 2011 - 12:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I bought this one for fairly cheap, and I dont really fancy spending more money on a practice one, so ill just try to not cock this up :-)

Read through the dissasembly guides, bought a lens spanner off ebay for £15 to dissasemble it with (figured it was better than spending £7 on scrapers to make tools from). Got an 50mm FD lens with a little bit of fungus in that I might try to fix (was free so im not fussed it if breaks), so at least the spanner will have more than one purpose!

Anyway, thanks for the help so far. Im sure ill have some more questions once this spanner arrives! Btw for cotton buds, are the type you get in the local supermarket ok, or is it worth buying slightly more expensive ones, with a tip that wont fall apart as easily?

Gez
Tinkerer

Post Number: 251

Posted on Monday, January 17, 2011 - 02:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Cotton tips from the 99p shop are fine. The ring holding the light diffuser in front of the selenium cell isn't tight but the slots are difficult to grip, an improvised tool will be just as good as proper lens spanner. Don't unsolder the wire to the selenium ring, (it's done from the back ONLY if you have to remove the front panel). Try and unscrew the front optical cell by hand, they are usually finger tight.

Gouranga
Tinkerer

Post Number: 4

Posted on Wednesday, January 19, 2011 - 10:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

another question, am I right in thinking this model doesnt take a battery?

cant find anywhere to put one :-)

Gouranga
Tinkerer

Post Number: 5

Posted on Wednesday, January 19, 2011 - 10:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I stripped the front lens down, and gave the shutter blades a light clean (though they didnt seem to be dirty).

Fired the shutter button, and heard a weird ticking noise. Turns out it was the self timer! Thats come loose now, but alas the shutter leaf's still dont open. Im thinking maybe it could be the mechanism in the camera, not the actual shutter blades?

Thought about giving the rear lens a clean, but have no idea what part to unscrew. The lens rear looks like this:
https://kyp.hauslendale.com/classics/forum/messages/6899/8009.jpg (taken from another forum post.)

Any ideas? :-)

Gouranga
Tinkerer

Post Number: 6

Posted on Wednesday, January 19, 2011 - 11:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

AND, I took the top of the camera off as the shutter button got stuck. It works OK with the top off, but gets stuck whenever I put it back on. I think theres a tab for the 'T' switch (dial around the shutter button), which is meant to be straight (atm its bent). Its the only thing I can see that might be causing it, but dont want to straighten it if its meant to be bent!

Br1078lum
Tinkerer
Username: Br1078lum

Post Number: 34

Posted on Wednesday, January 19, 2011 - 11:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It usually takes more than one application of whatever cleaning product you are using to free up stuck shutters. Keep working at it, but don't go overboard, just a drop or two at a time, and wait for it to evaporate between dousings.

PF

Gouranga
Tinkerer

Post Number: 7

Posted on Wednesday, January 19, 2011 - 11:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

yeah, I was putting a tiny amount on, it was so little it evapourated after 2-3 seconds

ill keep at it though!

Gouranga
Tinkerer

Post Number: 8

Posted on Wednesday, January 19, 2011 - 03:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

it works! :-) :-)

dead chuffed, messed up a little bit of the paintwork on the filter rings, but wcyd first time with a lens spanner.

btw, the tab on the lens is for putting it into bulb mode

and the thing that I thought was bent out of shape isnt, its for putting the camera into long exposure (kinda like a cable release, just on the camera. really nice feature!)

just need to figure out how to use the other stuff on it now, and how to fix the film winder so it doesnt keep falling out! (although I think it might stay in once a films loaded, not tried).

thanks for all the help!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration