Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Prontor...To lube, or not to Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Prontor...To lube, or not to « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Br1078lum
Tinkerer
Username: Br1078lum

Post Number: 29

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, January 14, 2011 - 06:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Finishing up my first Prontor-SVS teardown and rebuild, and am having what seems to be the common problem of the slow speeds being way off.

Having read the archived posts on this, and checking out Dan Mitchell's and Rick Oleleson's sites, I was wondering if maybe just a tiny micro-drop of lube on the ends of the gear shafts as they protrude the sub-assembly plates might be okay. Or is it just better to continue the cleaning step multiple times?

Thoughts, opinions?

PF

Lrsnrl
Tinkerer
Username: Lrsnrl

Post Number: 13

Posted on Friday, January 14, 2011 - 09:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Remove the shutter speed governer and self timer
mechanism. Soak them in laquer thinner or miner-
al spirits and then operate them until they run
freely. Add 5 or 6 drops of automatic transmis-
sion fluid to the cleaner and operate again. They
will now have a very thin coating of lubricant.

Hanskerensky
Tinkerer
Username: Hanskerensky

Post Number: 76

Posted on Sunday, January 16, 2011 - 01:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I once applied a tiny tiny micro drop of Moebius oil to the end of the gear-shafts of the escapement. The Prontor-SVS almost immediatly seized so i never use oil there again.

You can see it described here

The previous post from Lrsnrl gives good advise. Let the mechanism soak for a long time (i.e. 24 hours).

Br1078lum
Tinkerer

Post Number: 32

Posted on Sunday, January 16, 2011 - 07:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Hans and Lrsnl, but the owner tells me he is happy with it as is. I got the 1s to between 1.5 and 1.75, and the other slow speeds are likewise off, but get better as you go faster. This was after many cleaning cycles, even ultrasonic. They never got any faster than originally that I can determine. I was informed tonight by the owner that the last time this camera operated correctly was in 1975 when it was used on a vacation to France by a family member.

If you want to see, I have posted a video of the shutter operation on Flickr. It is without the speed cam in place so you can see all the movements.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7699588@N07/5358444883/

Don't forget to paste the complete URL into your browser, it does no good to click on it here.

PF

Br1078lum
Tinkerer

Post Number: 33

Posted on Sunday, January 16, 2011 - 07:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh, and Hans, I need to check out your site. I bookmarked it before, but haven't gotten back to it. Looked pretty good from my first view.

PF

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration