Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Mamiya Ruby/Tower 18b question Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Mamiya Ruby/Tower 18b question « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Msiegel
Tinkerer
Username: Msiegel

Post Number: 213

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, January 25, 2011 - 04:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I got a Mamiya Ruby with the f:2 48mm Kominar lens recently. The camera is the same as the Sears Tower 18B. The problem I have is that the complete lens/shutter assembly is a little bit loose also the RF is a little bit off.
Searching the forum's archive told me that to remove the shutter one has to peel back the leatherette so I assume that for re-tightening I also need to do that. If somebody could confirm that this is the correct procedure I'd be very grateful.
RF alignment: Vertical alignment seems OK to me but horizontal is a bit off. On the back of the top cover there is a screw and I suspect that needs to be taken out to reach the RF adjustment. So if somebody knows for sure that is the way to follow please confirm.
Thanks in advance for any help and regards
Martin

Scott
Tinkerer
Username: Scott

Post Number: 120

Posted on Wednesday, January 26, 2011 - 06:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You don't have to remove it completely, but the vinyl has to be peeled back away from the lens becuase there are four screws holding the flat (roughly square) lens board.

If you have lens spanners, then (without taking the camera apart) you can try tightening the ring that holds the shutter to the lens board.

Msiegel
Tinkerer

Post Number: 214

Posted on Wednesday, January 26, 2011 - 09:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Scott,
thanks a lot for the info. Is the ring reached from the front or from the back (as with folders)?

Thanks and regards
MArtin

Msiegel
Tinkerer

Post Number: 215

Posted on Wednesday, January 26, 2011 - 10:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Update:
I peeled back the leatherette only to find that the lens board is fastened tightly and the lens/shutter combo is sitting loose on the board any help on how to proceed is appreciated.
Thanks in advance
Martin

Scott
Tinkerer

Post Number: 121

Posted on Wednesday, January 26, 2011 - 03:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If the lens board is tight, then check the threaded ring/collar. You can see it from the back. It has two notches, like most of the other retaining rings. Normal (right-hand) threads. A lens spanner is the proper tool, but you might be able to tighten it somewhat with a screwdriver. It is the largest ring-- the smaller rings are holding the lens elements together.

Another possible problem is that the shutter-speed selecting ring is loose, but the bottom part of the shutter is not. In that case, you dismantle from the front, and adjust the play with the brass wavy ring/nut.

Msiegel
Tinkerer

Post Number: 216

Posted on Thursday, January 27, 2011 - 03:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Scott,
thanks for your reply. I suspect the retaining ring on the back is loose. I can see it from the back but I fear I cannot reach it from the back with the tools I have currently available. I'm now trying to figure a way tightening it without taking the lens board off which I'm trying to avoid as I have no idea how the speed/aperture selector works together with the light meter (which is working OK when checked against a known good camera). Maybe I will have to make my own tool.
The shutter speed selector is OK the whole lens/shutter block is tight in itself but only loose on the board.
So thanks for all your help. If I have further questions I will post them but I think for the moment the problem is identified and there is no need to trouble people here more than absolutely necessary.

regards from Austria
Martin

Scott
Tinkerer

Post Number: 122

Posted on Thursday, January 27, 2011 - 11:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just take out those four screws, and lift off the whole lensboard, and then you can more easily get at that retaining ring.

Msiegel
Tinkerer

Post Number: 217

Posted on Friday, January 28, 2011 - 02:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks again Scott, I will give it a try asap. I was afraid that there might be some mechanical linkage for the light meter that I won't get right again on assembly.
Regards
Martin

Scott
Tinkerer

Post Number: 123

Posted on Friday, January 28, 2011 - 04:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There is a mechanical linkage, which will be visible as you lift the lensboard off. I took my Tower 18B apart a few years ago, and can't recall exactly, but I think there was a pin from the lens which should engage with a notch in the body, but it is not so difficult to see how it works and get it back together.

The built-in selenium meters on those are not that helpful anyway, so it is no great loss if the metering system is disabled.

Msiegel
Tinkerer

Post Number: 218

Posted on Saturday, January 29, 2011 - 07:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the encouraging info. I will give it a try and post when finished.
Best regards
Martin

Cam
Tinkerer
Username: Cam

Post Number: 1

Posted on Sunday, March 13, 2011 - 04:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey, I'm not sure if you are both still using this forum. I have a ruby and the meter seems to have stopped working. I know its no big issue but I would love to get it working if I can. Do either of you know how that is possible? Thanks

Msiegel
Tinkerer

Post Number: 232

Posted on Monday, April 04, 2011 - 05:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello,

I finally got time to look into my Mamiya Ruby. Solving the wobbly lens problem was easier than feared.
First I peeled back the leatherette around the lens to get access to the four screws holding the lens board. I also got the hint to set the ASA dial to it's lowest setting before removing the board so I did that.
I removed the screws holding the lens board and took the board off. Looking at it from the rear I immediately noticed that the four screws holding the lens block to the lens board from the back were loose so I simply tightened them.
Re-installing the board took less fiddling than feared. Only the shutter release rod needs a little bit of attention.
Finally I screwed the screws holding the lens board to the camera back in and I was done.
Light meter works as before, camera is cocking and firing.
The rangefinder still needs attention. I think this has to be done from the top through the hole under the accessoiries shoe.
Anyway I'm going to shoot a test roll soon and will post pics of and taken with that camera soon.
So thanks again for all the help I got here.

Best regards
Martin

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration