Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Minolta MD 28-85mm Zoom - Loose Focus... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Minolta MD 28-85mm Zoom - Loose Focus Ring « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Xowhiplock
Tinkerer
Username: Xowhiplock

Post Number: 5

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, January 28, 2011 - 08:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Anyone help with a loose and wobbly focus ring on an MD 28-85mm zoom? I know if I remove the rubberband focus grip, that I can unscrew the front retaining ring using a rubber pressure donut. I need to know if I should unscrew counter clockwise or clockwise, and once off, if I'll be able to address the loose/wobbly front element assembly and focus ring? I guessing that the front element assembly attaches to the lens with screws and one of them is loose... or could it be more then just a screw loose or broken that may be the cause of the wobble?

Xowhiplock
Tinkerer

Post Number: 15

Posted on Friday, January 28, 2011 - 03:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I know this not a vintage anything, but to me it's a part of my vintage past... :-O) Well, I have the front element section off. You remove the rubber band focus grip, remove the tape that runs around the lens' two piece focus rings and unscrew the top ring counter clockwise. Then remove 3 philips screws and a metal ring. The front element assembly is screwed into a section that has large threads. Unscrew very very slowly counter clockwise. Watch the threads very closely as you unscrew it very slowly as the spiral downward as the lens rises up. DO NOT remove the lens all the way just yet. Rotate the whole assembly around slowly and move the top element in and out slightly and look for the very last end point of the bottom most spiral of the threads. Mark the bottom part of the tube with a scratch mark to indicate where the end of this last thread spiral comes out of the bottom tube. This will allow you to start that thread at or just before that mark. Very important.

Now the piece that holds the front element can be seen very clearly. Mine is wobbly. There are 3 sections or legs that extend into the tube body. Each with a guide pin that can not be seen. On mine, 2 of the 3 are loose in their guide slots. I then removed the locking ring at the top of the tube using a modified (ground to flat tips screw driver tips on the large blades) 6" dial caliper. Thats as far as I can go at the front of the lens tube.

I am now working from the mount end. Update to follow.

Xowhiplock
Tinkerer

Post Number: 18

Posted on Saturday, February 05, 2011 - 06:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Okay, thought I would update with this post that give step by step instructions:

http://www.apug.org/forums/groups/minolta-manual-focus-mmf-d1069-md-28-85-questi on-help-loose-wobbly-focus-ring-front-assembly.html#gmessage9080

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration