Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Retina meter cell swap Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Retina meter cell swap « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Br1078lum
Tinkerer
Username: Br1078lum

Post Number: 44

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, January 30, 2011 - 08:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Anybody here have experience swapping meter cells on a Retina IIIC? I've got a Kodak Automatic 35B with a live cell that I would like to use as a donor for the Retina, and would like to know if they are compatible (size, strength, connections, etc.) before I start tearing into things.

PF

Chris_sherlock
Tinkerer
Username: Chris_sherlock

Post Number: 29

Posted on Sunday, January 30, 2011 - 12:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Swapping selenium cells is easy enough, when you are talking like-for-like, but I've got no reason to think that the cells you are proposing to swap are anything like each other in shape and size. The cameras are completely unrelated except for the single word 'Kodak' in the brand name.

Regards, Chris

Br1078lum
Tinkerer
Username: Br1078lum

Post Number: 45

Posted on Monday, January 31, 2011 - 06:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I got to thinking about it, and with the way that meter cells are dying all over the place, I decided against doing the swap. It will be easier to use a CdS handheld meter, and I don't have to worry about mucking up the mechanicals while fiddling around with the camera guts.

Like you said Chris, I would need one that is the same in all respects to be able to do this, and the companies that used to do replacements are no longer in business, or repairing selenium meters.

PF

Chris_sherlock
Tinkerer
Username: Chris_sherlock

Post Number: 31

Posted on Monday, January 31, 2011 - 07:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The cheapest way to get Retina IIIC meter movements and selenium cells would be by buying a dead Retina Reflex, either the original model, or a Reflex S.

I have to say completely dead cells are few and far between, movements that have gone open-circuit are not.
Regards, Chris

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration