Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

The passing of a good "camera buddy"... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » The passing of a good "camera buddy" « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Henry
Username: Henry

Post Number: 52

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, January 30, 2011 - 04:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Most of you probably do not know me, as you also probably do not know Stuart Willis of Queensland, Australia. We were active a few years ago. The paths of our recent lives has detoured us away from cameras. I'm not certain of the direction of his because he and I communicated less and less as we both got further from camera tinkering. He was an excellent camera tinkerer...and though I never met him in person, he was one of my dearest friends. We both had unfulfilled plans of visiting the other a half a world away just as soon as our busy lives slowed down. Stuart recently died of a blood clot that broke loose in his leg and traveled to his heart, killing him near instantly.

I only came across this sad news due to the Queensland floods that has been in the international news and my curiosity of how close it might have gotten to "The Ponderosa", as he called his four acres in Samford Valley. After nearly a dozen emails not being returned, I finally looked up his phone number and starting calling daily until, quite by luck, Patricia Mary was checking on his empty house. She gave me the news of his death. This was Friday evening, I am still in shock.

Seems life is as Credence Clearwater sings, "Someday never comes..."

Henry Taber, absentee moderator

Donnie_strickland
Tinkerer
Username: Donnie_strickland

Post Number: 103

Posted on Sunday, January 30, 2011 - 07:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So sorry to hear that Henry. I always enjoyed Stuart's posts, and his contributions to camera tinkering in general.

Chris_sherlock
Tinkerer
Username: Chris_sherlock

Post Number: 30

Posted on Sunday, January 30, 2011 - 11:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for that news Henry,

I too had emailed Stuart about the floods and wondered about the lack of reply. I hoped I just had an old email address for him. He was very welcoming when I visited him on a trip to Brisbane a few years back.

Regards, Chris

Mattboston
Tinkerer
Username: Mattboston

Post Number: 20

Posted on Tuesday, February 01, 2011 - 06:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am very sorry to hear of this Henry. I did not know Mr. Willis, but it always hurts to lose a friend. And to lose the knowledge good repair people have hurts us all.

All the best,

Matt

Chris_sherlock
Tinkerer
Username: Chris_sherlock

Post Number: 45

Posted on Wednesday, January 04, 2012 - 02:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've only just now finished repairing a nice 1949 Kiev 2 rangefinder camera that Stuart gave me when I visited him in Brisbane some years back. It needed new shutter tapes, and had lain here in bits ever since I got it home, but every xmas break I try to get some of my long-standing repair projects finally finished, and this one's number finally came up.

Regards, Chris

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration