Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Minolta 7s aperture controls Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Minolta 7s aperture controls « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Altersaddle
Tinkerer
Username: Altersaddle

Post Number: 3

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, February 02, 2011 - 04:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I recently rescued a Minolta Hi-Matic 7s from the thrift store. It's in beautiful cosmetic condition but has a few quirks, and I'm wondering if it's worthwhile to open up to clean or if that is best left to "the pros".

When I first got it, occasionally the shutter would fire when the film winder was used. This only seemed to happen at 1/30 and seems to have gone away.

The aperture opening seems to have linked itself to the shutter release. Not sure how better to describe it, but if you set the shutter to bulb and slowly depress it, you can see the aperture opening (and then closing again) as if it's attached internally. Not like a hard linkage, more like something sticky inside.

Is there an easy fix? I don't want to delve into the innards unless I know I can get back out again.

If this needs further explanation I can film a short movie clip to demonstrate.

Thanks!

-Malcolm

Neuberger
Tinkerer
Username: Neuberger

Post Number: 23

Posted on Thursday, February 03, 2011 - 10:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There are two sets of blades. On the one hand what you describe is the usual opening function of the set of aperture blades in the auto mode seen from the film chamber, with no battery in the camera. The shutter blades, on the other hand, can be seen from the front, and with the shutter set to "B" they should open when the shutter release button is fully depressed and finally close again simultaneously with the aperture blades when said button is let loose again.

Altersaddle
Tinkerer
Username: Altersaddle

Post Number: 4

Posted on Friday, February 04, 2011 - 10:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

OK, thanks for the info. I put a (1.4V zinc-air) battery in it; now it looks like the light meter is working. and the auto aperture is too.

The shutter is certainly working properly, snapping open quickly and closing quickly with the speed selector on bulb setting.

I think I will assume the best and run a roll of film through it in automatic mode. The manual modes appear to work (by my reckoning), and the automatic modes shouldn't really be used for anything slower than 1/250 anyway. Hooray manuals!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration