Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Konica T3N: Low light meter adjustment? Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Konica T3N: Low light meter adjustment? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Flybye
Tinkerer
Username: Flybye

Post Number: 14

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, February 05, 2011 - 02:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all,

I have a Konica T3N with a curious issue. I'm using the 1.4v hearing aid batteries. When I meter something in sunlight, it meters exactly the same as my Sony digital camera and a Nikon N8008.

When I use a gray card with sunlight hitting it or indoors, the T3N over exposes. I metered the gray card also using the Sony & the Nikon and they both meter the same.

I read an old thread here about low-brightness adjustment in the T3N. There is this little pulley that I have access to once I remove the top. So I know how to get to this little pulley and even have the instructions on how to adjust it.

But my main question: How do I know how much low light is low enough for adjusting the meter properly? Should I simply use the gray card outside/indoors, etc?

Ron_g
Tinkerer
Username: Ron_g

Post Number: 68

Posted on Saturday, February 05, 2011 - 03:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you have the top off you have access to the trim pots that would allow you to compensate for the difference in battery voltages between the mercury cells and the hearing aid batteries.
I cannot remember what the correct voltages are now because I have not done one in a while but I would consider using the silver oxide 1.5 volt cell because the discharge curve is nearly the same as the mercury cells and I would expect that the low light meter readings would be back in line again.
I have a few cameras to do whenever I can find the time,the last one that I got was a black T3N which will be my carrying camera when the time comes.
I have the info on what the voltages should be and where it should be measured if you need it.I will look it up for you.Ron G

Flybye
Tinkerer

Post Number: 15

Posted on Saturday, February 05, 2011 - 05:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yep, I'm well aware of the SR44s. But I've chosen to stick with hearing aid batteries for a few reasons. 1) They are everywhere! I have only found SR44s in my local Radio Shack. The hearing aid batteries are at almost every drug store and supermarket in town. 2) SR44s are nearly quadruple in price. I can buy an 8 pack of hearing aid batteries for the same price as a 2 pack of SR44s.

I did do some research on the hearing aid batteries, though. They are made out of zinc and also have a discharge curve like the SR44s. So being that the hearing aid ones are everywhere and cheaper, I'd like to try to stick with those. :D

M_currie
Tinkerer
Username: M_currie

Post Number: 248

Posted on Saturday, February 05, 2011 - 09:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have noticed that the hearing aid batteries are getting a bit harder to find, so it might be worth readjusting eventually. I haven't done so yet, because I've lost track of the instructions for the T3, but I might try it on one of mine if I find them again.

I have found the silver oxides occasionally and very sporadically at Big Lots stores, in packs of 5 or 6 for a couple of bucks, under the Sunbeam label. The ones I've gotten have been fine, and at that price, worth stocking up on. They'll last much longer than zinc air. If you have a Big Lots store nearby, keep an eye open.

Flybye
Tinkerer

Post Number: 16

Posted on Sunday, February 06, 2011 - 09:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've actually had pretty good luck with the zincs lasting 3-4 months. I'm not a heavy user of the camera. But the silvers do sound interesting if I can get them that cheap, and I DO have a Big Lots about 10 minutes away! Never thought about look in there for them. Thanks :D

But in the mean time, do you guys think I should calibrate with the gray card indoors or outdoors? I'd like to go ahead and try to adjust what I need to for now and not have to worry about it for a while.

Or are you guys saying that once I stick with a certain battery and adjust the VR for it, then I won't have to worry about different readings like I mentioned before?

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration