Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Minolta XE-7 ISO Dial - Bad Electrica... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Minolta XE-7 ISO Dial - Bad Electrical Connection « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Xowhiplock
Tinkerer
Username: Xowhiplock

Post Number: 16

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, February 05, 2011 - 03:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello all, I have an XE-7 that has an ISO selector dial with a worn bad connection to its variable resistence plate amd rotating contact. It must be set to ISO 50 or just above, to match the light meter on my DSLR and/or X-700 for same 1:2.8/1/60 on meter needle for same set light source. Also, this dial can and does cause meter needle to react to movement of this dial when wiggled. Needle can shoot up all the way and stay there, drop down to "normal" (at compensated setting of 50 ISO), and bounce when shutter button is pressed and released. Needle bounces up when shutter button is pressed, and drops down when released. Batteries are brand new and voltage reads 3.2v with dvm. No corosion anywhere.

If I had a wiring diagram, I could see what resistences are involved, and all the switches. I may just send it out to get a CLA on it if too involved. Any help would be appreciated very much. Also, I'm thinking of KEH to get the CLA, any thoughs on them?

Craig
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Teraforce88
Tinkerer
Username: Teraforce88

Post Number: 30

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, February 06, 2011 - 09:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

When you set the XE-7's ISO dial to 50, what does that match up to on your DSLR and/or X-700?

You could try removing the dial and checking the contacts underneath. Chances are that the contacts aren't worn out, but instead are dirty. The XE series is very sensitive to oxidation within its variable resistors, and given that this camera series is 35 years old, the contacts are most likely dirty.

Let me know if you need help in removing the dial. It's not too difficult.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration