Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Electro 35 beyond the Pad of Death Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Electro 35 beyond the Pad of Death « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Josie
Tinkerer
Username: Josie

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, February 07, 2011 - 10:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all - newbie here with a question on the Yashica Electro 35. I inherited this bad boy a couple of years ago and recently tried it out. It always read underexposure and would hold the shutter open as long as the release was pressed. Yashica Guy said these were symptoms of the pad of death, so I took the whole thing apart and replaced it. But that didn't fix it... So I dug a bit deeper, I found that one of the wipers on the selector ring was not making contact. Fixing that - it worked perfectly and I shot a nice roll with it. I let the camera sit for a couple of weeks - and the problem is back! Always shows underexposure and the shutter stays open. I've checked the selector switch and the wiring from it to the board, but there doesn't seem to be any problem. So now I suspect that there is an intermittent problem in the module on the board. Has anyone else seen this? Suggestions please!

Waynemel
Tinkerer
Username: Waynemel

Post Number: 25

Posted on Monday, February 07, 2011 - 11:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mine started acting up after a while as well. I wonder if the pressure on the POD causes it to compress.
You may want to check and adjust the travel of the shutter release rod. This can be done from the top or the bottom of the camera. The slotted ends of the rods can be turned to position the contact points on the circuit board.
I think if you go to Yashica Guys site, he probably explains this. You may have already checked, but I know I had to adjust mine to get the camera to work properly.

Nickon51
Tinkerer
Username: Nickon51

Post Number: 140

Posted on Thursday, February 10, 2011 - 04:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Josie
After the pad is replaced there are some shutter release adjustments that should be done. These synchronise the release button position to the electronic switch positions. These are found on pages 7,8,9,28,57 of the repair manual. Doing these will set the camera back to spec for further troubleshooting. Not doing them leaves the electronic switches in an uncertain state relative to the shutter release rods. Many wierd and odd faults on these cameras are fixed by replacing the POD and then readjusting the shutter/switch positions.
Cheers
Greg

Josie
Tinkerer
Username: Josie

Post Number: 2

Posted on Thursday, February 10, 2011 - 12:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Waynemel & Nickon.
I'm going to try to adjust the release rods. It can't be much out of adjustment because it seems to work some of the time. Thanks again.
-Joe

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration