Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Yashica GL 'Shocked lens?' Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Yashica GL 'Shocked lens?' « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Br1078lum
Tinkerer
Username: Br1078lum

Post Number: 51

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, February 07, 2011 - 10:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Got this one in today, and it has taken a beating. Two dents in the filter ring that I will have to remove before tearing down the lens.

Yashica Electro 35 GL

What I am wondering about is, the drawing for the 1.7/45 in the G thru GSN/GTN shows four elements in two groups, with each group coming out as a unit. One could assume that this lens is of similar design, so can I seperate the two elements of the unit? This is one camera I have not done any lens work on, and don't have the specific manual. Not quite the same as the rest of the G series, as the body of the camera is smaller, the meter is in the lens barrel, and of course the lens is a different FL.

Do the flecks in the lens look like particles to you, or am I seeing the results of a 'shocked' lens, with the elements seperating from each other?

PF

Br1078lum
Tinkerer

Post Number: 57

Posted on Wednesday, February 16, 2011 - 10:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Looked at the lens a lot closer tonight, and it is definitely shocked, with little 'insects' floating between the two front elements. Pounded out one of the dents, will work on the other tomorrow. Had to dig out the battery, it was one of the old mercury models, so some corrosion to clean out there. The top of the camera is stoved in a bit also, so this baby has seen some hard times. Will start looking around for a replacement front group.

PF

Br1078lum
Tinkerer

Post Number: 63

Posted on Sunday, February 20, 2011 - 06:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You know, I tried to upload some photos to illustrate the repairs I made to this camera, but after getting rejected twice, I give up. Suffice it to say, the camera is fixed now, the lens anomolies don't adversely effect the picture quality, and if you want to see the photos, follow this link:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7699588@N07/sets/

PF

ps: Due to the archaic nature of this forum, you need to copy and paste the entire link into your browser

Michael_qrt
Tinkerer
Username: Michael_qrt

Post Number: 6

Posted on Monday, February 21, 2011 - 02:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Congratulations! It's a great feeling bringing a camera back to life isn't it. especially when you see the first shots.

As for the lens it's good that you didn't see any real problems, of course it may be possible to get into it and clean it out now that you've fixed the dents in the filter ring. On the other hand, there may be no need. It's always surprising that such obvious defects as are present in this case can have little effect while the tiniest bit of decentering of one of the elements can cause blur central.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration