Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Chinon CE-3 meter/shutter adjustment Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Chinon CE-3 meter/shutter adjustment « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Egmus
Tinkerer
Username: Egmus

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, February 08, 2011 - 11:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello everyone, there are five trimmers/pots atop a Chinon CE-3 camera prism. The front three share traces on the PCB and so do the rear two. Could you please tell me what each of them adjusts? I would like to adjust the exposure meter, meter needle and electromechanical shutter speeds in Auto (aperture priority) mode because the speed pointed to by the needle (and selected) underexposes by at least 2 stops. Thank you. Chinon CE-3 trimmers

Donnie_strickland
Tinkerer
Username: Donnie_strickland

Post Number: 106

Posted on Tuesday, February 08, 2011 - 12:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't know how much help this will be, but I had to adjust a CE-3 once. It was underexposing in Auto, so I adjusted at least one of the pots...it may have been more than one; I can't find my notes. Anyway, I do recall that it wasn't difficult. I marked the position of each pot before moving any of them, and adjusted each one in turn. By this method I was able to correct the exposure.

Egmus
Tinkerer
Username: Egmus

Post Number: 2

Posted on Thursday, February 10, 2011 - 03:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you for your help. I marked them as you suggested and only messed with pots A, B and C. I was able to bring the exposure meters within half a stop of another 'reference' camera both in low EVs (around 5) and high ones (around 15), using four M42 lenses on the Chinon. Of course I may be wrong but it appears that pots A and C control the two CdS elements this camera is equipped with, reducing their output (thus lowering the needle) when turned CCW. Perhaps one is for the low EVs and the other for the high ones but I wasn't able to figure out which is which. Pot B appears to be a trickier one as it controls both the balance between A and C and their signal amplification at the same time. A slight CCW nudge significantly lowers the needle towards slower speeds. Took me about an hour but now it appears it's working much better.

Donnie_strickland
Tinkerer
Username: Donnie_strickland

Post Number: 107

Posted on Thursday, February 10, 2011 - 05:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well done!

Hyperione
Tinkerer
Username: Hyperione

Post Number: 2

Posted on Friday, March 25, 2011 - 09:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello Egmus, Donnie,

I've yesterday received a CE-3 Memotron from e(vil)bay. It's shutter release button was lousy and film winder also has problems (while turned, it gives cranking noise and doesn't turn smoothly). I'm thinking it worth to try fix it myself or not. Could you please share tips how to remove top cover or send photos (if any) to medasa(at)mail.ru? Thank you!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration