Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Leica IIIc strange "hard" winding ... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Leica IIIc strange "hard" winding « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mr_schmit
Tinkerer
Username: Mr_schmit

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, February 12, 2011 - 09:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all, I'm new here, I've got a Leica IIIc which I CLAed and now it's harder to wind and, even a little, to release. It's like something is kind of "rubbing" somewhere. I disassembled and reassembled it many times and nothing changes. The weirdest part is that this behavior only happens when I put the baseplate! Without it everything is ok and smooth.
Nothing seems to "touch" the baseplate, the only thing I can imagine is a very slight deformation of the body. But again, I haven't seen any "evident" rubbing.
Any idea?

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 1121

Posted on Wednesday, February 16, 2011 - 09:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the takeup spool shaft fully up to the top plate, not hung up on something like the little anti-backup pawl?

Mr_schmit
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Saturday, February 19, 2011 - 03:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

No, the shaft is ok. It is well aligned and no problem with the anti-backup pawl. Remember that the problem arises only when I put the baseplate.

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 1124

Posted on Saturday, February 19, 2011 - 01:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

that was the only thing i could think of off the top of my head that would make the wind shaft foul on the baseplate....

Mr_schmit
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Saturday, February 19, 2011 - 02:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yeah, really strange...
It appears even without the takeup spool. It's clearly not the the shaft touching the baseplate.
It was also my first idea.
I scratched my head for a while, it's a kind of mystery for me.

M_currie
Tinkerer
Username: M_currie

Post Number: 251

Posted on Wednesday, February 23, 2011 - 03:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think Rick is approaching the problem here with the question of whether the shaft is up far enough to the top plate. Looking at my IIIb, which I think is the same, I see that there is a pin in the baseplate that goes through the spool and pushes into the recessed end of the shaft. I'm pretty sure that it's a close fit when right, so if the shaft is not quite all the way up, it might press. Could there be a misplaced shim washer here? One that should have gone above the top plate placed below? The other possibility I see is that if there's just a little depression of the tripod mount, say from an impact, it might be enough to push that pin in further.

Does the drag occur when the base is partially attached, or only when it's fully locked on?

M_currie
Tinkerer
Username: M_currie

Post Number: 252

Posted on Wednesday, February 23, 2011 - 04:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here's an added thought. I'm not about to try any blunt tools on my Leica tonight, especially on the brass parts, but I will attempt to attach a picture of the shaft in my IIIb. The question is whether that slotted end can be used to screw up and down, and if so, whether it screws the center portion of the shaft up and down with it. It appears that there's a stiff spring beneath this portion, and there is no springiness to explain it unless it's to hold tension on a screwed in adjustment. Leica shaft closeup

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 902

Posted on Thursday, February 24, 2011 - 06:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

As is well known; it is the sprockets that actually do the advancing of the film when winding on a 35mm camera, the take up spool only rotates because it is held by some form of friction device on the extension shaft below the wind on knob (in this case) or lever.

So unless the base plate was deformed during the original CLA - not common on a Leica but does happen if one is ham fisted when working on the early Soviet clones - I suggest that Matthew has come up with the most probable cause of this problem and the whole of the take up spool assembly should be stripped and rebuilt to the proper specification.

However the statement that the release is harder to operate leads me to ask the question "Is there actually a problem with the base plate?" The term 'harder to wind on' is very subjective, so I have no idea if the camera is actually operating within design limits but clearly the poster thinks it is not. The problem with old cameras that are built from superior materials is that actual mechanical wear can be minute, even if the camera has not been serviced. Add in the factor of little actual use and you have the situation of an old camera that requires very careful assembly and alignment during reassembly if one is to prevent initial 'binding' of the mechanism from the tight tolerances involved, even the slight over tightening of retaining screws can play havoc with the free running of the mechanism. You can CLA an old Zorki or Fed from the same era wearing boxing gloves, wear will have taken care of any tight tolerance issues.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration