Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Pentax Spotmatic Jammed Advance Lever Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Pentax Spotmatic Jammed Advance Lever « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Randymcclure
Tinkerer
Username: Randymcclure

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, February 12, 2011 - 02:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The film advance lever on my Spotmatic IIa is jammed, I think. I don't really know much about these types of cameras. It is in the uncocked position and won't budge at all. There is no film in the camera. Any suggestions?

Previous thread at Flickr with pictures of the bottom of the camera

http://www.flickr.com/groups/ishootfilm/discuss/72157626028335840/

Randymcclure
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Sunday, February 13, 2011 - 10:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

bump? anyone know anything about these cameras?

Juliard1
Tinkerer
Username: Juliard1

Post Number: 21

Posted on Monday, February 14, 2011 - 03:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello, This is a common problem that Pentax fixed by changing a link piece on the mirror return assembly. The best Pentax manuals are the National Camera ones very kindly made available on this site:http://www.robertstech.com/manuals.htm

Monopix
Tinkerer
Username: Monopix

Post Number: 193

Posted on Tuesday, February 15, 2011 - 02:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sounds as if the wind lock is still set and needs to be released so that the shutter can be recocked. I don't have any experience of these cameras so can't say where the wind lock is. It's often under the base plate but looking at your pictures it's not obvious.

You can download a service manual from http://pentax-manuals.com/manuals/service/spot_sm.pdf which might help.

Randymcclure
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Tuesday, February 15, 2011 - 05:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've went through that service manual already. It feels like it is locked but I just don't know where the release is. There is a locking button on the bottom of the camera with a red dot but pressing it in or out does nothing.

If the link piece does need to be replaced, do you know where it is?

Juliard1
Tinkerer
Username: Juliard1

Post Number: 27

Posted on Tuesday, February 15, 2011 - 09:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello Again, Although Pentax brought out a replacement part, it can be fixed by simply lubricating. This link shows the part that hangs up
http://forum.mflenses.com/jammed-spotmatic-t7169.html
Use a toothpick and some sewing machine oil to get it to operate freely. Hope this helps.

Randymcclure
Tinkerer

Post Number: 4

Posted on Wednesday, February 16, 2011 - 08:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't think that is the problem. I took all of those parts off and left just the gears and the wind lever still would not move.

Vincebodie
Tinkerer
Username: Vincebodie

Post Number: 5

Posted on Tuesday, July 31, 2012 - 09:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Randy, I have the same problem with my Spotmatic. I took off the base plate and removed the same parts but the gears themselves just won't budge. Did you ever get yours fixed?

Wonloo
Tinkerer
Username: Wonloo

Post Number: 55

Posted on Wednesday, August 01, 2012 - 04:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I had the same problem with my H3 before. The first one I forced it to turn and broke the shutter. On the second one, I opened the base plate, cleaned all parts with lighter fuel, moved every thing that can slide and it worked.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration