Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Many repairs needed - any documentati... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Many repairs needed - any documentation, how-to guides welcome « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Asfarley
Tinkerer
Username: Asfarley

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, February 16, 2011 - 01:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello, I have a bunch of cameras needing possible CLA etc. If anyone has specific advice (I've already read the normal Google results) it would be appreciate.

-Konica Auto S2: Jammed wind arm in neutral position. Shutter is probably jammed. I don't have a spanner right now; anything I can do in the meantime? Also, Google mentions the double-wind-on prevention latch, but I can't see any actual pictures of what this is.

-Konica Auto S2: Bent shutter-speed selection dial. It's tilted asymmetrically. How bad is this? Worth fixing?

-Electro 35 Professional: Stuck shutter. Waiting on spanner again.

-Canonet 25: Stuck shutter. Waiting on spanner.

-Yashica Electro M5: Jammed wind arm, stuck shutter. I assume this also needs shutter cleaning.

-Yashica T2: Possible nonfunctioning rewind button.

So, in summary, any advice about the repairs above (manuals etc) would be appreciated. Thanks

Alexander

Gouranga
Tinkerer
Username: Gouranga

Post Number: 11

Posted on Wednesday, February 16, 2011 - 01:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

remove the front lens unit for the canonet with the lens spanner, then clean with lighter fluid + cotton buds!

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 1123

Posted on Thursday, February 17, 2011 - 04:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have some general notes that may (or may not) be helpful at http://rick_oleson.tripod.com/index-27.html - also, I have some notes on the Konica Auto S2 that are not on the web page - email me at [email protected] if you'd like a copy of those.

Also, on the T2: in my experience, a faulty rewind button has virtually never turned out to be a faulty rewind button. The most common cause of this is a dead shutter (especially in electronic cameras, but others as well): the lever won't wind, the shutter won't fire, so the user presses the rewind button... now the rewind button stays stuck in until the next winding of the shutter. Since the shutter won't fire, it won't wind, so the button stays in until the camera is repaired.

Asfarley
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Friday, February 18, 2011 - 01:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the reply Rick (emailed you about the S2 notes) and Gouranga. Please ignore my questions about the Yashica T2, I didn't read the rules at first about P&S electronic cameras.

I'm working on the Yashica Electro M5 right now. The shutter was working (according to previous owner) until wind-arm jammed recently. I took some pictures under the baseplate, posted here. A video of the wind-arm free play is posted here: http://youtu.be/HZEOhRxMx_w

A suspiciously tilted plate in the wind-arm "drive train" is circled here and here . Could this be related?

Monopix
Tinkerer
Username: Monopix

Post Number: 194

Posted on Friday, February 18, 2011 - 03:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I would decouple the wind mechanism from the sliding arm which, presumably, is cocking the shutter, by removing that e-clip and lifting off the coupling piece. If the wind mechanism then becomes free, the problem is with the shutter cocking mechanism. If the wind lever is still jammed, then you'll need to investigate that further, probably by lifting the top plate.

Asfarley
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Saturday, February 19, 2011 - 12:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Monopix. I've removed the e-clip, wind arm is still jammed. I suspect it's that tilted plate, but I'm not sure and I don't want to force it just yet (it's not sliding off too easily).

I've posted some pictures of the upper windarm mechanism: rear, left,right,
front

Everything on the upper mechanism looks OK to me, but again I'm not sure what to look for. Should I try to get that lower plate un-stuck or should I keep looking here?

Asfarley
Tinkerer

Post Number: 4

Posted on Saturday, February 19, 2011 - 01:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think a metal tab on the bottom of the upper wind arm mechanism is blocking the arm from returning. Close up footage posted here .

If you watch the bottom as the wind arm is rotated, the brass gear hits a silver tab. Is the tab out of place possibly?

Monopix
Tinkerer
Username: Monopix

Post Number: 195

Posted on Saturday, February 19, 2011 - 03:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I can't see what that metal tab is supposed to do but it's clearly the problem. It looks bent to me so I'd be tempted to bend it outwards to give enough clearance for the arm to return to it's proper position. It then might become clear what the tab is supposed to do.

Asfarley
Tinkerer

Post Number: 5

Posted on Saturday, February 19, 2011 - 01:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think this is what happened: shutter's stuck, someone forced the wind arm, causing the tilted plate on the bottom. Then, they tried to fix it, and in the process mounted the wind arm wrong.

At first, I thought the same thing about the tab, but I can't imagine what would have bent that blocking tab downwards; it looks like it's where it "should be" which leads me to believe that the wind arm was mounted 180 deg. off where it should be, and that tab is meant to prevent the ratchet from going too far in reverse from its normal position.

I've remounted the wind arm and now it sits in the normal position, winds about 1/3 of a wind and gets stuck. Now, the stuckness is being caused by gears underneath the upper wind arm mechanism. I think this is probably just a cocked shutter that needs naptha.

Asfarley
Tinkerer

Post Number: 6

Posted on Saturday, February 19, 2011 - 08:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ok, I've been playing with this to see if it's just a stuck shutter. The upper wind arm can rotate about 1/3 or 1/2 a full stroke. The shutter appears to be opening/closing with the wind arm. Is this normal?

video

Asfarley
Tinkerer

Post Number: 7

Posted on Saturday, February 19, 2011 - 11:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Also, any idea how to open the lens from here?
lens opening

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration