Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Canon 19 slow at long shutter speeds Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Canon 19 slow at long shutter speeds « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Gouranga
Tinkerer
Username: Gouranga

Post Number: 12

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, February 16, 2011 - 01:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey,

Been cleaning out a canonet 19lens, as it was sticky and the shutter wouldnt fire. Now, after a couple of applications of lighter fluid it seems to open and close all the time (same for aperture blades too, they were stuck before).
All speeds below about 1/8th of a second are slow though, you can hear the mechanical timer ticking away, and getting stuck or something, slowing down and giving incorrect timings.

Ive got the rear and front elements off, and as far as I can tell theres no other way to get into the rest of the lens now without taking the leatherette off right? Really want to avoid doing that as I think I will mess it up, anyone got any other suggestions for how I might fix it?

Thanks!

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 1120

Posted on Wednesday, February 16, 2011 - 09:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Keep cleaning, you're just not finished yet. The same oil that was making it not fire at all is still slowing down the escapement.

Gouranga
Tinkerer
Username: Gouranga

Post Number: 14

Posted on Thursday, February 17, 2011 - 12:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was sure I replied, maybe not!

Anyway, do I just keep applying the lighter fluid then till it shifts? Already seem to have used a lot tbf. Figured the mechanism that might be sticking would be within the lens guts, not just the blades? The blades seem snappy enough at other speeds, surely its just the 'clicky timer'.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration