Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Retina IIIc - Removing or accessing s... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Retina IIIc - Removing or accessing shutter « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Ricks
Tinkerer
Username: Ricks

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, February 20, 2011 - 03:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've not had any luck finding detailed instructions on how to access the shutter on a Retina IIIc for cleaning, or completely removing the whole shutter mechanism to give it a complete cleaning. Anyone have instructions or info to share? I have a Retina IIIc with a stuck shutter, and I'm trying to decide how difficult it will be to fix.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Fredtheoyster
Tinkerer
Username: Fredtheoyster

Post Number: 9

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, February 21, 2011 - 04:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've just completed work on a IIc that involved removing the shutter; I beleive the IIIc is very similar except for having a light meter.

I removed the shutter assembly as follows:

Looking at the camera from the front,at the top left of the shutter is a little cover for the gear that is used to wind the shutter. Loosen the bottom screw slightly and remove the top one entirely, so the gear can be pulled away slightly from the toothed ring in the shutter.

Use a lens spanner to unscrew and remove the rear lens element from inside the camera. You then have access to the slotted shutter retaining ring which unscrews in the same way - the shutter assembly can then be pulled off.

Reassembly is slightly more difficult as you will need to mesh the winding gear with the toothed ring correctly. Chris Sherlock's very knowledgeable pages http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~Srawhiti/retinarack.html describes how to do this far better than I ever could.

Best of luck,
Jim

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration