Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Yashica Electro 35 GS - shutter stuck... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Yashica Electro 35 GS - shutter stuck on f2 and f1.7? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Kronik
Tinkerer
Username: Kronik

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, February 23, 2011 - 07:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi - I'm new here!
Just got a Yashica Electro 35 GS for a steal on eBay and upon checking what I could, I found that the shutter doesn't seem to open entirely on f2 and f1.7, though I must say that at the moment I don't have a battery present. Not sure if that makes a difference. On all other speeds I see the shutter opening to a nice octogonal (? i believe) shape, on f2 and f1.7 i just see a kind of starshape: it opens, but not all the way.
How can I repair this?
Also, I don't hear any clunk upon rewinding, which seems to indicate a pad of death problem? Or is this only audible when a battery is in place? I find lots of information about how to repair the POD, but what does it do? Can I use the camera without it?

Many thanks for any advice, pointers, links, you might have!

Waynemel
Tinkerer
Username: Waynemel

Post Number: 35

Posted on Wednesday, February 23, 2011 - 07:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I thought the Electro 35 needs a battery to fire the shutter.

Monopix
Tinkerer
Username: Monopix

Post Number: 197

Posted on Wednesday, February 23, 2011 - 08:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, needs a battery for shutter to work. Won't effect the sound of the wind-on though.

No, the camera won't work without the POD. Ultimately, it's only there as a buffer for the shutter release rod to spring back against but if it's missing, the position of the rod will be wrong and the camera won't work.

Br1078lum
Tinkerer
Username: Br1078lum

Post Number: 67

Posted on Wednesday, February 23, 2011 - 10:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

All Electro's will fire at a default of 1/500 when the battery is dead or missing. And when the POD is degraded to the point of being reduced in size, or falling apart, it produces misalignments in the camera of the contact board, causing all sorts of misfires, and metering faults.

A replacement POD should be 2mm thick, and can be made out of a plumbing washer. All residual pieces of the POD and mounting glue must be removed before installing a new one, and you may have to dig the remains of the old one out of the insides of the camera so they don't gum up the works.

And while you are going through all that trouble, you might as well clean the shutter and aperture blades. Do not lubricate them as they are designed to run dry, and oiling them will only cause more problems.

On the shutter not opening fully when testing on f2 and f1.7, are you looking at a computer screen when doing this? The scan rate on the screen can give false images when checking a leaf shutter, and the camera needs to be pointed at a steady source of light, such as a window or lamp. The only time I use the computer screen to check a shutter is if it is a focal plane type.

PF

Kronik
Tinkerer
Username: Kronik

Post Number: 2

Posted on Thursday, February 24, 2011 - 01:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for all the info so far.

The pad clearly needs replacing, so I'll get stuck in once I find a replacement pad. I see dimensions mentioned on yashicaguy's repair guide, but no shape. Is it just square?

For the shutter: I tried several lightsources, including daylight. How would I clean the shutter blades?

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration