Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

QL17 Sticky Escapement Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » QL17 Sticky Escapement « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Tcpen
Tinkerer
Username: Tcpen

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, February 24, 2011 - 07:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a Canonet QL17 with an escapement that has gummed up after being unused for many years. It will work fine if I heat the camera next to my furnace register, but once the camera cools down the escapement will not work at all. In the past I have had good luck flushing escapements with a bit of Ronsonol lighter fluid. What is the least intrusive way I could get to the escapement (even using a syringe if necessary) and squirt a bit of Ronsonol on it?

Monopix
Tinkerer
Username: Monopix

Post Number: 198

Posted on Friday, February 25, 2011 - 02:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a manual at http://www.scribd.com/doc/48744175/Canon-Canonet-QL17-Repair-Manual which might help but no personal experience.

Gez
Tinkerer
Username: Gez

Post Number: 263

Posted on Friday, February 25, 2011 - 03:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The problem is due to oiled shutter blades, the cleaning approach will depend on the model. Is yours the full sized version or the compact G111 version?

Neuberger
Tinkerer
Username: Neuberger

Post Number: 32

Posted on Friday, February 25, 2011 - 08:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Plus: what's on your mind anyway, some sort of sustainable repair or are you just trying to make that camera fit for half a dozen rolls of film, as that and nothing more is what you will get by pouring solvent into a frozen-up mechanism IMAO.

Tcpen
Tinkerer
Username: Tcpen

Post Number: 2

Posted on Friday, February 25, 2011 - 08:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The shutter on this GIII will always open and close at a default speed, so the blades do not appear to be sticking. Hence, I assumed that some part of the escapement is sticking, rather than it being oily blades. The escapement will work without fail if the camera is warmed up, timing properly for 1/4 second, etc. Once the camera cools down, the escapement does not engage, but the shutter will still open and close at all speed settings, and the Bulb setting still works fine. Ideally, having a professional do a CLA would be the best fix, but I have had good long term success clearing out the escapements of my Canon IIb and a Leica IIIf by flushing the escapement with Ronsonol, so it seemed worth a try.

Neuberger
Tinkerer
Username: Neuberger

Post Number: 34

Posted on Friday, February 25, 2011 - 09:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have done that to cameras going to be shelved, just to make sure they were mechanically ok, but the ones I use for picture taking usually undergo a kind of routine cleaning process, including a careful wash of the escapement, but in that case I usually take things apart, as I am afraid of wetting unwanted areas (glass lenses, Rfs etc) with too much liquid/solvent.
Unfortunately I have no practical experience with shutter problems of the GIII, I do know from experience that the older "conventional" lines of vintage Canonets is easier to work on.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration