Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

What glue to use? Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » What glue to use? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Rascal
Tinkerer
Username: Rascal

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, February 26, 2011 - 03:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi All,
I just bought a Mamiya 645M from eBay with very little usage.
It was probably left in a hot car however because the black fabric is beginnning to peel up from the edges of the mirror and also the interior side walls at the edges is just beginning to lift,
also the leatherette on the exterior has lifted on the top slightly.
What to do?
Should I disassemble and try a little solvent and pressure (the glue is very dry at this stage)
What glue and solvent should I use ?
Any advice would be welcome

Sevo
Tinkerer
Username: Sevo

Post Number: 78

Posted on Saturday, February 26, 2011 - 06:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There never was a Mamiya 645M - there were a dozen versions of the M645. We might be able to say more if you could identify yours more precisely.

What black fabric? The mirror dampening foam has a life span of about one decade, and accordingly will need replacement on most M645es by now. Pre cut kits and foam boards are often offered on ebay, and through all camera repair parts dealers.

The leatherette can be reattached with Pliobond, Kövulfix, Pattex classic or any other, similar leather contact cement. Be warned that all makers also offer updated more adhesive stuff, often under more or less the same name - you want traditional contact cement that can still be rubbed off metal surfaces with a finger when dry.

The "peeling interior side walls" sound a bit scary. Either you misinterpret something about the cameras construction, or yours may be toast. The mirror box walls on all M645 types I am aware of are clad with dull black painted corrugated sheet metal - if the paint is peeling off them, the camera has been rotting in a damp cellar for years, or spent some time at the bottom of a pool. You may want to evaluate the shape of the camera, mirror and shutter before you put any money and repairs into it - at the current going rate of used M645 bodies there is no point in trying to salvage a formerly waterlogged one.

Rascal
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Sunday, February 27, 2011 - 03:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sevo - t
Thank you for your reply - you are right, it is a Mamiya M645 , My error.
The number next to the tripod mount is " NO. J55080 " and has a prism finder.
I know nothing about the camera's construction and i used the word fabric loosely for want of a better word as it seems very pliable and curls away from the bottom corner,
There is no sign of any paint peeling on it or corrosion anywhere on the camera,and the way it bounced back when flattened felt like it had little mechanical strength - more like a fabric or plastic.
The camera was a very low price and I thought might be a fun project for a newbie like me!
Here are some photos l of what I can see.
Mirror backingFront Down viewside wall

Sevo
Tinkerer
Username: Sevo

Post Number: 79

Posted on Sunday, February 27, 2011 - 05:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

From the looks the only issues you have are the loose leather and decayed foam. Beware, besides the mirror foam there may be more decaying foam hidden on the back door and in body seams, plus foam built into the prism.

There are different types and strengths of foam used on a camera, and not all are that prone to decay - but if foam decomposes it must be replaced, or it will cause secondary damage like light leaks, mirror bounce, prism damage or jamming doors.

Reborn7
Tinkerer
Username: Reborn7

Post Number: 44

Posted on Sunday, February 27, 2011 - 05:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Seems to be camera that needs a complete reseal, take a look at the Articles tab, Jon Goodman's Seal Replacement Instructions for Mamiya M645J.

The fabric under the mirror is velvet-like, I don't know where to get hold of that.

Rascal
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Sunday, February 27, 2011 - 10:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've ordered Jon Goodman's Seal Replacement Kit -(What a nice guy to deal with!)
Many thanks for the advice Sevo and Reborn7

Keith
Tinkerer
Username: Keith

Post Number: 5

Posted on Thursday, May 26, 2011 - 12:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You can use exterior grade PVA glue. Apply very thinly underneath the lifting leatherette and wait until it feels tacky then press the leatherette into position and hold it until it sets, takes a few minutes

Bossman
Tinkerer
Username: Bossman

Post Number: 127

Posted on Friday, May 27, 2011 - 08:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have found that DAP Weldwood contact cement is as good as anything I have used over the last 40 years (and can be found at Home Depot or Ace Hdwe. etc.)! Clean off the old cement (careful of any solvent)..........naptha or lighter fluid, will not ruin a focusing screen or any other plastics; then lightly coat BOTH surfaces and allow to dry couple minutes and press together...............DONE!!

Old_school
Tinkerer
Username: Old_school

Post Number: 43

Posted on Friday, May 27, 2011 - 10:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wiley:

Check out this site:

http://www.cameraleather.com/

He has some good hints on gluing skins back on & some tricks & probably a good source for material as well.
A source for a small amount of felt type material might be an old 35mm film can light trap, just a thought & am not sure.
The rest of the comments above are correct as to the deterioration of the monoprene foam as it is the ozone that kills it.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration