Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Kodak retina reflex 3 replacing mirror Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Kodak retina reflex 3 replacing mirror « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Silversurfer
Tinkerer
Username: Silversurfer

Post Number: 29

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, February 26, 2011 - 05:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi guys,I put a request last week re fitting a new mirror in a reflex,3. No replies so far, any tips on getting the front off would be welcome, thanks silversurfer

Chris_sherlock
Tinkerer
Username: Chris_sherlock

Post Number: 35

Posted on Sunday, February 27, 2011 - 12:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

G'day Silversurfer,

Probably the reason you haven't had any reply is that those who have taken a Reflex III apart and successfully reassembled it, are loathe to encourage anyone else to go through the pain and suffering involved.

To remove the front do this...

Remove the rewind knob, remove the top cover, remove the meter, remove the prism.

Remove the film advance lever, remove the surround from the back-catch, remove the leatherette from the base of the camera, remove the chrome trim plate.

Remove the shutter release lever, remove the leatherettes both sides of the body front.

Remove the four screws holding the front to the main body casting.

Job done!

Regards, Chris

Chris_sherlock
Tinkerer

Post Number: 36

Posted on Sunday, February 27, 2011 - 10:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

One more step to add before you lift the front off....

I forgot the two screws at the front of the top chrome trim that go into the front section! Remove those too.

Regards, Chris

Silversurfer
Tinkerer
Username: Silversurfer

Post Number: 30

Posted on Sunday, February 27, 2011 - 12:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Chris, sounds like I will need some adrenaline along with my screwdrivers!
It was this job or replace the curtain tape on my old 1937 Contax 3....maybe I'll read Rick Olesons Contax notes and put the Retina back in the draw for now! regards, Ted

Chris_sherlock
Tinkerer

Post Number: 37

Posted on Sunday, February 27, 2011 - 01:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

G'day Silversurfer

I know which I'd go for. I've still got a nice 1949 Kiev I was given here sitting in pieces in the too-hard basket. I must get on to that sometime, but now I must get back to the Reflex III I'm just finishing for a customer in Australia.

Taking a Reflex III apart is easy meat compared to getting it back together, but practice makes perfect.

Regards, Chris

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration