Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Mamiya C220 door latch Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Mamiya C220 door latch « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Philacamera
Tinkerer
Username: Philacamera

Post Number: 10

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, February 27, 2011 - 03:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello All,
The last round of Mamiya TLRs used a door latch release on the left side of the camera, linking to the sliding catch via a spring running through the the take-up roll's "anchor"(the knob you pull to get the exposed film out- the name is escaping me at the moment).
I was wondering if anyone had experienced this malfunctioning and knew how to correct it. This is the second C220 I've seen with an unresponsive release, and a broken catch on the door itself, so I am assuming it is not an uncommon problem with these cameras?
I have a repair manual for the earlier C33/C22, but they do not use this mechanism.
Any advice would be a great help!

Philacamera
Tinkerer

Post Number: 11

Posted on Tuesday, March 08, 2011 - 11:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi folks,
just curious about the lack of response here.

As best I can figure, I'm either:

A: guilty of a faux pas on some key piece of forum etiquette....

B: asking a question so obvious, so mind bendingly stupid it has been deemed not worth answering.

C: The Mamiya C220 is such a rare and exotic camera that even the most dedicated camera repair folks have never seen the likes of it.

Since I doubt it's option C, and I would like to participate, I was hoping the seasoned vets might fill me in on how a newbie properly enters the conversation.

Thanks!

Br1078lum
Tinkerer
Username: Br1078lum

Post Number: 71

Posted on Wednesday, March 09, 2011 - 07:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

After reading some older posts while doing research on various cameras, I have come to the conclusion that (a) most of the oldtimers on this forum are fed up with newcomers, and (b) sometimes there just isn't someone with the knowledgebase for your problem. I don't think you have done anything wrong, the C220 is a perfectly good example of the type of camera they love on the forum.

It sometimes helps to peruse the archives to see if there is pertinant information for your particular camera. Beyond that, sometimes you just have to wait.

PF

Donnie_strickland
Tinkerer
Username: Donnie_strickland

Post Number: 115

Posted on Thursday, March 10, 2011 - 08:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Will -- I certainly don't think you've done anything wrong, but it's probably very simple: no forum member has run across this problem and/or successfully repaired it.

Things like these are hard to diagnose without seeing the latch release operate. It's usually a matter of working the mechanism and carefully observing it to see what's happening (or not happening, as the case may be). I'm guessing you've probably already tried this, with no results, which led you here.

Everybody here was a newcomer at some point! Don't get discouraged.

Bossman
Tinkerer
Username: Bossman

Post Number: 126

Posted on Thursday, March 10, 2011 - 03:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a parts C220 somewhere.......let me know if I should look for it (not an easy task amongst the thousands of orphaned cameras here.

Paul_ron
Tinkerer
Username: Paul_ron

Post Number: 247

Posted on Thursday, March 10, 2011 - 06:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I guess you must be new to DIY camera repairs, we've all been there. Patience and attitude is the most important part of this hobby.

When inspecting your old camera you have to first find out why it isn't working by figuring out the systems n how they work. Then if after finding out the problem, you develop a lousey attitude... just throw the camera away n take up another hobby.

If you want to repair it, keep a cool head, use that mush between your ears to figure out how to do it, improvise.

THEN... When you are totally frustrated n confused, ask for help.

To repair your camera, here is how I'd do it Without ever seeing the camera....

I'd say the number one most common problem in old cameras of any brand is.... bound up because it just needs some carfull inspection, a good cleaning n a little lube.

Number two most common problem...
it was broken n wound up in the closet for 40 years n now needs an inspection, a good cleaning n a lube and a few new parts.

How do I know this?

Paul_ron
Tinkerer

Post Number: 248

Posted on Thursday, March 10, 2011 - 06:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bossman there is aguy looking for parts on APUG... http://www.apug.org/forums/forum147/88184-part-mamiya-c-220f.html

shall I tell him about you?

Philacamera
Tinkerer

Post Number: 13

Posted on Thursday, March 17, 2011 - 05:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi guys,
Thanks for the words of encouragement.
I've been working on cameras for about three years, with at least a couple dozen success stories, so I'm not a total greenhorn. ;)

I'll try to take some photos and maybe work out a diagram which will help those inclined figure out what the problem is.

I guess this problem with the C220's latch is less common than I had thought... In any case, when it gets sorted out, I'll make the findings available.

Paul_ron
Tinkerer

Post Number: 250

Posted on Friday, March 18, 2011 - 04:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Pictures save a thousand words.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration