Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Zenith 122 - Need a repairman Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Zenith 122 - Need a repairman « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jy0tsna
Tinkerer
Username: Jy0tsna

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, March 05, 2011 - 05:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi

I currently own one of Zenith's very old models Zenith 122 (Russia made). It was bought by my father from a photographer 15 years back. After his demise, I want to get it working or get directions on what I can do with it.

I do not know where I can get it repaired. I am pretty sure it's 44M-7 lens is perfectly fine. The viewfinder displays a grungy area and I can never look clearly through it.

I wrote to Zenit already and they say they cannot help me directly or indirectly even to get it repaired.

I really need someone to take a look at this camera and repair it. Any pointers on who can handle in India - preferrably in Mumbai (Bombay) ?

Msiegel
Tinkerer
Username: Msiegel

Post Number: 221

Posted on Monday, March 07, 2011 - 02:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,
unfortunately I do not know about repairshops in India.
Zenits are easy to work on. An experienced repairman should have no problem with it.
Here is a link to instructions for top cover removal of the Zenit 12XP which is basically the same camera.
http://forum.manualfocus.org/viewtopic.php?id=13352
On Tom Piel's page you find additional instructions. Those two pages should give a repairman all the necessary info on how to remove the top.
http://www.tomtiger.com/
On Tom's site you have to scroll down in the left navigation to "Zenit Repair Project" to find them.
There are not many parts where a grungy area can come from. The lens, the mirror, the focusing screen, the prism or the finder. You can easily check mirror and focusing screen for dirt by taking the lens off.
You can also join the Zenitcamera Group on Yahoo
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Zenitcamera/
I think there is at least one member from India - although I have no idea if he is still following the forum.
Hope it helps.
Martin

Jy0tsna
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Thursday, March 10, 2011 - 01:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you so much Martin for your advise. I will definitely keep these links handy and join the yahoo group too.

Well, I did remove lens to check the grungy area and could not find it. So it may also be the prism that is damaged.

I also remember my father saying that photos were only half captured. Half of the print would be blank. But I am not sure and may look at it after the grungy area problem is resolved.

However, by your experience, would prism be still problem in case only half of the image is being captured on film ?

Msiegel
Tinkerer
Username: Msiegel

Post Number: 223

Posted on Thursday, March 10, 2011 - 04:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,
a half captured image has nothing to do with the prism. Prism and mirror are only used for composing the image and for correct focusing. Any dirt or whatever that is on the mirror or the prism does not influence the picture quality as the mirror goes up when you take the picture and the light goes directly from the lens to the film.
If parts of the pictures are missing there are several reasons possible:
a)The shutter curtains do not work as they should (left or right part are missing)
b)The mirror does not go up completely (bottom of picture is missing)
c)You used a flash and did not set the correct time for flash snychronisation - with the Zenit you have to use 1/30th for flash pictures or part of the pic will be underexposed (dark).

If you can scan one of those pics it would be helpful to post it here.

Regards
Martin

Jy0tsna
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Monday, March 14, 2011 - 03:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Martin

It has been quite a lot of time to find a photo to upload. But let me try and I will get back to you.

The information you have provided me is highly helpful.

Thanks again :-)

Jyotsna

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration