Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Chinon CS, shutter button issue Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Chinon CS, shutter button issue « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Christy
Tinkerer
Username: Christy

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, March 07, 2011 - 07:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello there!

I was hoping someone could offer some help in regards to an old Chinon CS SLR I've been using for quite a long time now - up until today it's been working flawlessly, it's never been serviced as far as I know but everything has been alright with it, it's lightseals are tight and shutter speeds work fine.

However, today, after ordering some rolls of film I wanted to check on the old camera quickly, and found that the shutter button did nothing. It's not exactly "stuck" - but it doesn't fire the shutter. The shutter itself is functional, I can fire it manually if I remove the bottom plate of the camera and push the shutter-firing rod there.

I can also see where the pin coming from the button at the top of the camera is, and it IS moving, but it doesn't travel far enough to actually trigger the shutter.

I've no idea what to do, last I used the camera it worked just fine - the film advance still lever works fine as well.

Any ideas?

Mtkidd
Tinkerer
Username: Mtkidd

Post Number: 1

Posted on Saturday, May 28, 2011 - 08:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I too am having problems with a Chinon CP-5. Sometimes it fires but the majority of the time it doesn't. I just bought the camera and bought new batteries for it. The only time it really works is when I remove the battery cover and put it back on. Usually I press the shutter button half way and the lights through the viewfinder work like they should, but then once I push it all the way it just pretty much dies. Any Help with us?

Plaskey
Tinkerer
Username: Plaskey

Post Number: 19

Posted on Monday, July 15, 2013 - 07:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I know this is an old message but I have found a possible answer to the CS problem above. The shutter button is binding. These camera's top plates are made of soft alloy which is not held in place by anything other than the pin face screw around the rewind crank and the pressure of the wind lever! Consequently any deformation (I have had two, both of which were deformed...) is going to push the (fixed) shutter release collar against the chrome button and effectively stop it returning to its "ready" position. You can verify this by wiggling the top plate around. My solution was to remove the top plate and enlarge the shutter button hole with a fine, half round file and fine emery paper wrapped round a piece of dowel, just enough to give the button some slack. It also helps to flush out the masses of gears and springs inside with lighter fluid.
PL

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration