Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Miranda RE-II Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Miranda RE-II « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Ismaelg
Tinkerer
Username: Ismaelg

Post Number: 65

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, March 08, 2011 - 04:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,

I recently received a non working Miranda RE-II body, along with a working Auto Sensorex EE and 3 lenses.
Here is a pic of both bodies.
http://images54.fotki.com/v1614/photos/4/1233394/9542054/IMGP3784-vi.jpg
While it looks cosmetically decent, the mirror is in the up position but not stuck to the foam. The rewind lever moves only 1 curtain back and the shutter release just moves that curtain. The mirror stays up. If I take the mirror down then the shutter does not releases. I don't know much about these cameras, or repairs for that matter. I mostly do cosmetic and minor repairs. So this is a good opportunity to get deeper. Any ideas or suggestions? Any repair manual available?

Thanks,
Ismael
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Gez
Tinkerer
Username: Gez

Post Number: 267

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, March 08, 2011 - 04:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

In 90% of cases if on release the mirror doesn't return, particularly at speeds below 1/60, the cause is due to dirty or dry shutter bearings. The second curtain at the end of its movement doesn't have enough energy to reset the mirror latch. Cleaning with lighter fluid and relubing with light oil should restore normal function, but you may also have to give attention to the 2 gear stack (under the top cover) which wind the curtains together and then allow them to move independently once the release button is pressed.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration