Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Canon F1 Light Meter Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Canon F1 Light Meter « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Nellybelle
Tinkerer
Username: Nellybelle

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, March 08, 2011 - 11:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Guys. I really really hope you can help me. I think the light meter of my camera is broken. It used to work fine a few years ago but it no longer works now.

When I look through the view finder the needle will not move up or down no matter how bright the scene is that I point the camera at. I do not think it is a battery issue as I have completed the test where you put the cameras ISO to 100 and the shutter speed to 2000. This indicated that the battery was ok.

Please let me know if there is anything I can do to get the meter working again.

Plaskey
Tinkerer
Username: Plaskey

Post Number: 2

Posted on Tuesday, March 08, 2011 - 01:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It sounds silly, but give the camera a good shake. It could be that the needle is simply stuck.

Nellybelle
Tinkerer
Username: Nellybelle

Post Number: 2

Posted on Wednesday, March 09, 2011 - 01:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

ha ha I did try to change the battery with no luck :-( I diddnt think this was the problem as the needle moves when I test the battery.

Old_school
Tinkerer
Username: Old_school

Post Number: 13

Posted on Wednesday, April 27, 2011 - 06:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A little late on this, but try cleaning the battery terminals with an old stye ink or type writer eraser. Reinstall the energy cell & try the battery test. AS mentioned above try a little bump & not too hard at this point. If you get a battery test to move, but the meter needle does not wish to move on the exposure mode, it may be the needle is sticking on the bumpers. The plastics & the wonderful foam seals they use gas & plus the air pollution. A residue accumulates on the pointer needle & bumpers causing a sticky situation. The foam deterioration is said to be from the ozone levels & they knew about this for years, before it got this crazy. Good luck!

Ron_g
Tinkerer
Username: Ron_g

Post Number: 74

Posted on Thursday, April 28, 2011 - 04:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

In the old days I used to use a pencil eraser to clean the contacts in the mechanical tuners that were used in the televisions of that era.Nothing worked better.Ron G

Old_school
Tinkerer
Username: Old_school

Post Number: 16

Posted on Thursday, April 28, 2011 - 05:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ron: Yes this is good for contacts, but the energy cells leak & gas leaving a residue that is a little harder to remove. The other alternative is a glass brush or metal fiber & I don't like either.
By the way, a nice thing to have around to neutralize the alkaline goo that leaks is Boric Acid, your choice, I don't recommend anything as it just might come back at ya! Never store your alkaline and acid batteries in the same area as they will neutralize each other & you"ll have a bunch of dead cells.
So, no lead acid batteries in with the Ni-Cad or alkaline they can't live in the same room. Same comment as above, I don't recommend anything, just a general statement of life the universe & beyond. You all have a good day!
42 & out!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration