Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Rolleiflex SL35E "lazy" mirror! Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Rolleiflex SL35E "lazy" mirror! « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Plaskey
Tinkerer
Username: Plaskey

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, March 08, 2011 - 01:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does anyone have any xperience of stripping this camera? Problem is as title suggests an intermittently slow mirror flip. In some cases it fails to get out of the way of the shutter, resulting in no exposure or drastic under exposure, and often fails to close again. Best I can think of is a fatigued spring somewhere in the mirror mechanism, as it works perfectly upside down!! However I am not sure how to open the camera and won't try without some sort of diagram or instruction.

Rolleidm
Tinkerer
Username: Rolleidm

Post Number: 1

Posted on Wednesday, March 23, 2011 - 12:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi... I just had my Rolleiflex SL35 E with Rollei auto winder serviced at a local reputible shop. When I got my camera back, I too noticed the "lazy mirror" and immediately asked if this will affect my exposure. The shop guy said that it would not... but after your post, I guess I won't really know until I develop my 1st test roll.

I am going to be upset if his supposed professional diagnosis turns out to be faulty. I thougt from the beginning that the mirror lift action seemed unnecessarily slow. I will repost if I can figure things out. I am hoping you may share the same!

Good luck and hopefully we'll both get this solved.
Regards.

Plaskey
Tinkerer
Username: Plaskey

Post Number: 3

Posted on Thursday, May 12, 2011 - 09:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Update on this, I had the camera CLA'd via the great old camera dealer I got it from, and it's all now snappy, as it should be. To check whether the mirror mechanism is ok, the best way seems to be to release the shutter with the camera horizontal, and then with the camera vertical - if it sounds comparitively "floppy" with the camera horizontal, it's a weak mechanism.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration