Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Yashica electro 35 default shutter sp... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Yashica electro 35 default shutter speed was modified to 1/60 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Khanhaho
Tinkerer
Username: Khanhaho

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, March 13, 2011 - 03:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all,

My Yashica Electro 35 GS had its default shutter speed (without the battery) modified to 1/60 (instead of the 1/500) a long time ago by a repair shop, since at that time I was small and did not have the replaced battery.

Now I have learned enough about its wonderful capability with the battery and want to restore the camera to its original condition.

Can anyone tell me what it was modified to change the default speed to 1/60? I'm afraid it is something mechanical, which I will have no chance to revert that.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Khanh

Monopix
Tinkerer
Username: Monopix

Post Number: 204

Posted on Sunday, March 13, 2011 - 11:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By definition it will definitely be mechanical and presumably in the shutter, but not sure what.

Khanhaho
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Monday, March 14, 2011 - 11:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Anyone know what piece of hardware inside the Electro 35 GS that define the 1/500 default shutter speed, as seen from this attachment photo?

Monopix
Tinkerer

Post Number: 205

Posted on Saturday, March 19, 2011 - 09:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ah, found it. It's the Capacitor-Shorting Switch Eccentric which adjusts the top shutter speed. It actually says that in the manual (only I never noticed it before)on page 64, under the circuit diagram.

Paolo_bonello
Tinkerer
Username: Paolo_bonello

Post Number: 3

Posted on Wednesday, March 23, 2011 - 10:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So which way (turning) adjusts the speed and what method would you use to do the adjustment? Is it hit'n'miss or very easy?

Monopix
Tinkerer

Post Number: 208

Posted on Thursday, March 24, 2011 - 08:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm afraid I know no more than is in the manual. Never had reason to fiddle with this. But I imagine it should be pretty obvious assuming you can see the contacts. basically, the sooner the contacts make, the shorter the shutter speed will be. I think you'd need some form of shutter speed tester to set this though otherwise it would be guesswork.

Paolo_bonello
Tinkerer

Post Number: 4

Posted on Thursday, March 24, 2011 - 06:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for that. Will try it when I put my lens back together cause I know I fiddled with that screw when I dissassembled my lens. For some reason I though it also had to come out when I removed the switch. (dumb i know.)

Paolo_bonello
Tinkerer

Post Number: 6

Posted on Monday, March 28, 2011 - 09:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Update, It turned out to be super easy to find the fastest shutter speed as monopix said it's easy to spot the eccentric when it gives the least amount of gap. I put my lens back together and it worked fine.

Khanhaho
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Sunday, April 17, 2011 - 08:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

thanks Monopix and Paolo. Will try next time when I get my time on my beloved Yashica.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration