Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Nikon F2s DP-2 re-assembly questions Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Nikon F2s DP-2 re-assembly questions « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Cooltouch
Tinkerer
Username: Cooltouch

Post Number: 73

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, March 15, 2011 - 10:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The other day I dismounted a lens from this camera, and the DP-2's meter coupling post sort of came with the lens when I removed it. It was just hanging there, about 1/2" below the head. It wasn't spring loaded anymore. Well, figuring that perhaps it had come disengaged somehow, I removed the front plate, which revealed three prominent Phillips screws. I removed those next, which apparently was a mistake, because removing this set of plates, gears, levers, etc., uncoupled the post assembly from the gear train inside the head, thus losing the meter's alignment. Oh well. This front assembly is a wonderful study in gears, levers, springs, and ratchets, but as near as I can figure, I need to remove its top plate next to get to the area where I can see how to re-spring-load the meter coupling post assembly. Is this correct?

And, any advice on a sensible way to reassemble things so I can get the meter set properly again? I don't have any test equipment. I'm thinking probably just trial and error, use my Gossen Luna Pro (which is dead-nuts accurate) and meter a blank wall with it, then meter the wall with the camera (and lens?) until things coincide. Any other ideas?

Dirbel
Tinkerer
Username: Dirbel

Post Number: 49

Posted on Thursday, March 17, 2011 - 11:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I could send you a service manual for the DP-2. It contains a chapter 'Adjustment and Reassembly', I haven't looked closer though.

Ciao,

Dirk

Cooltouch
Tinkerer

Post Number: 76

Posted on Friday, March 18, 2011 - 02:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey Dirk,

That would be fantastic! Just what I need, really. Just click on my user name to send me a PM and we can take things from there, I reckon.

Edward8
Tinkerer
Username: Edward8

Post Number: 51

Posted on Sunday, March 20, 2011 - 07:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Greetings, Cooltouch,

You are very brave. Just inspected my old, but clean F2, which has a DP-1 head. Sadly, I now have no use for this superb camera. My work is now all, er, digital.

Over the years, I used many F2s, with various photomic heads. I found they respond well to a firm tap, or whack, on the top. This might sound silly, but a wee tale ...

Many years ago, during a job in outback Australia, my F2 was run over by a four-wheel-drive vehicle. It was not pretty. The body had a few dings, but the photomic head suffered the worst damage. It did not look well. Bent and a bit squashed. The lens, a solid Nikon jobbie, was OK.

So. I retrieved the film, which was OK. Then cleaned the camera, checked the battery,
and re-positioned the photomic head. First up. Nothing. So I gave it a firm whack. Boing! Zing! It sprang to life ... and went on to deliver several years of excellent service.

The above is, of course, useless information in your attempt to re-assemble a DP-2. As I said, you are brave. Best of luck!

Edward

Cooltouch
Tinkerer

Post Number: 77

Posted on Monday, March 21, 2011 - 10:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks, Edward. Hopefully with the repair guide I got from Dirk, bravery won't be a big requirement to getting the head set back to rights.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration