Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Anyone worked on a Leningrad rangefin... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Anyone worked on a Leningrad rangefinder camera? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Fredtheoyster
Tinkerer
Username: Fredtheoyster

Post Number: 10

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, March 17, 2011 - 03:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello again Folks,

Just taken delivery of a Leningrad spring-drive rangefinder camera, which was simply described as 'broken' I've never handled one before, let alone repaired one, so would appreciate any advice.

As the camera is, it can't be wound up, but operates as a conventional knob wind; ie. the shutter can be tensioned and film wound by turning the advance knob. Is this a normal situation - and how does one open up the spring motor safely to service it?

All comments gratefully appreciated.
Cheers,
Jim

Scott
Tinkerer
Username: Scott

Post Number: 131

Posted on Thursday, March 17, 2011 - 10:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've given this same tip a few times, but here's a safety warning:

Those spring-driven cameras have about a couple of feet of spring steel, like a clock spring, which (if wound up tight) can be dangerous. I learned how NOT to do it. Be very careful opening the mechanism holding the spring. Try to manipulate the pawl to release the tension BEFORE opening it.

John_cribbin
Tinkerer
Username: John_cribbin

Post Number: 15

Posted on Wednesday, March 23, 2011 - 11:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ah, the Leningrad, probably my favorite Soviet rangefinder.

Unfortunately, due to being on the other side of the world from my collection, I can't dig mine out at the moment.

From memory, the knob should just tension the mechanism and then it operates as a motordrive from the shutter release. My guess is that for the knob to advance the mechanism, it's already fully wound and not releasing, or due to a previous problem was converted to a single shot camera with conventional wind on.

If I find any fix tips when I get home (I did have some) I'll get back with them.

John

Fredtheoyster
Tinkerer

Post Number: 12

Posted on Thursday, March 24, 2011 - 10:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Much appreciated! I'll certainly welcome any notes you may have. I can always get on with replacing the shutter curtains before tackling the spring, so no hurry.

Cheers,
Jim

John_cribbin
Tinkerer
Username: John_cribbin

Post Number: 16

Posted on Thursday, March 31, 2011 - 10:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ok back home and got mine out. The wind knob should initially cock the shutter when it's unwound. Once wound the shutter release will operate until the spring is unwound again.

The ratchet mechanism is definitely at the top of the camera, so I'm guessing you will need to get the top off to investigate further. I've located some notes for the camera I've aquired over the years, so if you pm me your e-mail address I'll send them to you.

Fredtheoyster
Tinkerer

Post Number: 13

Posted on Friday, April 01, 2011 - 06:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks very much! Address PM'd. - Jim

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration