Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Ikoflex 1a: how to reach the shutter? Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Ikoflex 1a: how to reach the shutter? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Havoc
Tinkerer
Username: Havoc

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, March 20, 2011 - 07:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I got a Zeiss Ikoflex at a flea market and while it looks in great shape, the following problems have been indentified so far:
- I can arm the shutter, set the speeds (and hear the gears turn at slow speeds) but if I push the button next to the viewer, there is a slight click but nothing happens. I have to give the shutter lever a light push with my fingernail and then it snaps. I know about all the interlocks, so that isn't the problem. There is something that makes that the connection between the button and the shutter release isn't working well. It works a bit because the shutter is released but it doesn't snap.
- the self-timer is gummed up. Not a showstopper but it would be nice and maybe is related.

The only trouble is that I can't get my way in. I'm certainly not an expert, only taken apart some lenses before for cleaning.

So far I can take the front element of the taking lens off. The viewing lens turns but doesn't come off. And I cannot reach the ring on the backside of the taking lens as my spanner isn't long enough.

I see that there are 2 screws at the side of the viewer, the leatherette has been pried loose before. There are some screws at the focus knob but these don't look usefull to get at the shutter.

Wonloo
Tinkerer
Username: Wonloo

Post Number: 17

Posted on Tuesday, March 22, 2011 - 04:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here is how I got to the shutter last time (all screws are normal screws):
1) Remove the taking lens by unscrewing it.
2) Remove the two screws on the name ring.
3) Remove the star ring under the name ring.
You should be able to see the whole shutter by now and do most of the works from here.

The viewing lens can also be easily removed by unscrewing it all the way out. Mark the lens and the black ring before unscrewing the lens so you can put it back without readjusting the focus.

If you find out the shutter won't release because the button travels too short (which is very likely because someone may have forced it down without winding first), there is a screw under the side wall to adjust it. Opening the wall is a pain; all (6 or 7) screws are under the leather skin.

I hope this will help.

Havoc
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Tuesday, March 22, 2011 - 01:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It helps a lot, thanks. I took a quick look and indeed I see the star ring under the name ring. Don't see a way to get some grip on it however. And there seems to be a small screw that sits in one of the openings in the star ring. And that screw turns but doesn't move, looks like a stripped thread.

I'll give it a closer look in the weekend so I can take more time.

Wonloo
Tinkerer
Username: Wonloo

Post Number: 18

Posted on Wednesday, March 23, 2011 - 08:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The small screw you saw is not really a screw. It is a stopper to stop the star ring from moving. You can turn it by a small screw driver so it will not get in the way of the tooth when you rotate the star ring. You can easily rotate the ring with a small screw driver pushing the tooth. Again, mark the star ring before you rotate it. It controls the tension of the shutter speed ring.

You may also encounter spacing problem on the film. Some pictures may overlap each others. This is because the back paper of the 120 film today is thinner than those of 50 years ago. No easy fix on the camera. Just roll 5 to 6 loops of black tape on the taking spool before you load the film. I hope this will save you a roll of film and some surprises.

Havoc
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Wednesday, March 23, 2011 - 01:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks again for the warnings. I'll let you know how it goes.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration