Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Canon (old) F-1, shutter trips at end... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Canon (old) F-1, shutter trips at end of advance. « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Springingingerman
Tinkerer
Username: Springingingerman

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, March 20, 2011 - 10:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi folks, long time lurker first time poster,

I have a Canon F-1, the older version, and although brassed and beat up, it's served me very well for the year that I've had it...until now. The problem is that when the advance lever is wound to where (before the problem started happening) it would reach the end of the travel, cocking the shutter, the shutter does not hold in the cocked position and is released automatically. The mirror flips up as the shutter returns to the left (looking at the back of the camera), but it isn't like what you'd think would happen if maybe the shutter release was letting go (the shutter is capped, and adjusting the shutter speed doesn't affect anything). It's a rather tragic turn of events, as I just bought an FD 135/2.8, and I'm not sure if I want to sink even more money into the system and spring for a CLA. I've had very good luck repairing some cameras and lenses before, and was wondering if anyone on the forum is familiar with this problem/knows what could potentially be causing it/can give me a push in the right direction re. remedying it.

Thanks a million,

Max

Gez
Tinkerer
Username: Gez

Post Number: 268

Posted on Tuesday, March 22, 2011 - 05:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It is possible the transport latch isn't engaging. It is accessible under the baseplate. If you have an FTb you will be able to see its operation quite easily, but in the case of the F-1 the latch and master shaft is hidden under a drive lever.
The service manual for the old F-1 is available for free in a few internet sites, but I found this link last night. www.paradesquare.ca/canon_fd/Manuals/Tech%20Ref/f1repair.pdf

Gez
Tinkerer
Username: Gez

Post Number: 270

Posted on Tuesday, March 22, 2011 - 08:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

PS see Section 2.13, Fig.33

Springingingerman
Tinkerer
Username: Springingingerman

Post Number: 2

Posted on Tuesday, March 22, 2011 - 08:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Gez,

That's exactly what it was. It just took a couple nudges to the latch while advancing to get the camera operating again. Thanks for your help!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration