Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Ricoh Diacord G shutter stays closed Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Ricoh Diacord G shutter stays closed « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Phix919
Tinkerer
Username: Phix919

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, March 21, 2011 - 09:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all,

First just want to say there is some great info here from everyone and it really helped me choose my first TLR medium format camera.

As you can probably guess by the title, it is a Ricoh Diacord G that was listed as "in perfect working condition". When I received it, that wasn't the case so much.

Everything actually looks good and functional except when I cock the shutter and press the release the shutter blades don't move. I've tried on all shutter speeds and was wondering if anyone here knew if there is anything I can check, look at, or do to see what the problem may be?

Thanks for any help,
Mike

Scott
Tinkerer
Username: Scott

Post Number: 133

Posted on Monday, March 21, 2011 - 06:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My Diacord G (and other cameras with concentric metal blades) had the same problem. It is one of the most-commonly discussed problems on this board:

a shutter which sticks because the blades (and/or actuator rings, etc.) need cleaning.

Read the threads. At the very least, it will require some disassembly and some naptha.

Phix919
Tinkerer
Username: Phix919

Post Number: 2

Posted on Tuesday, March 22, 2011 - 05:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Scott, I've read as much as I could find here and am now attempting to disassemble to clean the shutter blades.

I've taken the two front face plates off and am trying to figure out how to get at the shutter to clean. I haven't been able to find any instructions on dis-assembly, since you have probably done this before, would you happen to have any or would you be so kind as to point me in the right direction?

Thanks

Scott
Tinkerer
Username: Scott

Post Number: 134

Posted on Tuesday, March 22, 2011 - 09:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

First try removing the front and back lens elements, so you can get at the blades. Then, 2-3 drops of naptha, tilt the camera in all directions, then wind and release shutter a few times. Carefully wipe the wet naptha off the blades, fire the shutter, repeat.

Turn it over and do the same thing from the back. Repeat a few cycles, and that might fix it.

If it doesn't help, then you may need to dismantle the shutter completely, which is difficult, but not impossible.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration