Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Crazy Olympus OM1 winding problem Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Crazy Olympus OM1 winding problem « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jake_oh
Tinkerer
Username: Jake_oh

Post Number: 2

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, March 23, 2011 - 12:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have an OM-1 that will only wind (that is cock the shutter and advance the film) when the camera is held up side down, or nearly up side down...the camera has to be past 90 degrees, where the lens is farther that pointing straight up or straight down. If I hold the camera normally (right side up) the winding lever free wheels through it's normal range without engaging anything then spring returns back to the normal position, but it doesn't lock, that is, I don't have to push the shutter button to move the lever through it's range again. When held up side down the advance works as smooth and normal as any Olympus OM camera I've ever owned. Once the shutter is cocked, it can be released the normal way using the shutter button while holding the camera normally.
I have to think that something that is supposed to be spring loaded has lost it's spring, but I need someone to point me in the right direction. I have the bottom plate off and can't see anything that could cause the problem...I don't have a problem removing the top cover, but don't want to until I sort of know what I'm looking for. Any thoughts on this question would be greatly appreciated.

Olympfix
Tinkerer
Username: Olympfix

Post Number: 39

Posted on Thursday, March 24, 2011 - 04:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

See Gez 22 March 11

Olympfix
Tinkerer

Post Number: 40

Posted on Thursday, March 24, 2011 - 04:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Should have added "Olympus film wind issues" -- it is a common problem and although a bath in Ronsonol will work 80% of the time, a touch of sharpening the ratchet teeth will help.

Jake_oh
Tinkerer
Username: Jake_oh

Post Number: 3

Posted on Thursday, March 24, 2011 - 09:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Olympfix, but I think this is a different problem...On further investigation I discovered the following...If I hold the OM-1 up side down and start to cock the shutter with the advance lever, then turn it right side up while keeping pressure on the lever, it will complete the cycle normally, but if after I turn it right side up, I release pressure on the lever, I can hear a tiny little click as if something is falling out of place, and then the lever is free wheeling again...also it is very very sensitive to what position I hold the camera. For instance, if I hold the camera at 88 degrees (with the lens almost pointing straight down) The winding lever will still move freely...if I gently tilt the camera to 92 degrees, the lever engages and works normally...gently move it back and it moves freely again. This happens every time. it's as if I had a mercury switch hooked up to a light bulb...a very slight difference in tilt will turn it on or off. I have also found that if I use my accessory winder (OM Winder 2), It works perfect every time in any position. I could just keep the winder on it, but for me the whole idea of the OM-1 is it's small size...not so small anymore with the winder attached. Any ideas?

Olympfix
Tinkerer

Post Number: 41

Posted on Saturday, March 26, 2011 - 06:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, if it works every time with a winder, then I'm almost certain it's the wind mechanism on the top plate. Remove top, (don't lose door spring or washer around flash shoe, remove wind assembly-three screws, -probably NOT held at base by screwed washer through take-up spool- that design went out very early in OM's history.. clean and adjust where necessary plates and slotted washers. It should improve. I've never , in probably 5000+ OM repairs, come up against that exact problem, but that hesitant wind problem previously described is quite common. Good luck

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration