Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Canon F-1 Aperture Signalling Sticky Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Canon F-1 Aperture Signalling Sticky « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Woodsy
Tinkerer
Username: Woodsy

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, March 25, 2011 - 09:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,I have a problem with an original Canon F-1. The lever inside the camera body, that gets pushed down by the lens coupling lever when the aperture is closed down, gets stuck when the aperture is fully closed. This then shows up in the exposure meter, as the aperture needle stays at the top. It can be unstuck by pressing the stop-down lever, or by removing the lens and gently moving the lever. It's not very 'sticky' so can be moved quite easily. Any ideas how this can be fixed please?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Brcamera
Tinkerer
Username: Brcamera

Post Number: 76

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, March 26, 2011 - 02:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This was a common issue with the F-1. The diaphragm sensing lever in the mirror box contacts the lever on the rear of the lens to move the meter pointer in the viewfinder as you change f stops on the lens. The diaphragm sensing lever has a ramp,visible once the mirror box is removed, that contacts the meter pointer lever arm. The meter pointer lever slides on the length of this ramp and when the ramp has any sort of abrasion or wear, the diaphragm sensing lever sticks in the down position. When parts where still available from Canon, I just replaced the whole assembly and that solved the problem (Canon calls the part a Correction Lever Unit, part 18-0475). Since those parts are NLA, the fix that I would now give is to carefully burnish the ramp to make it smooth. I have also applied an almost microscopic layer of dry moly to the ramp. Of course, you have to remove the mirror box to do this fix and depending on your skill/experience level, this can be tricky on the F-1 (very easy to damage the meter pointer).
f1 mirror box

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration