Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Rollei 35: Film Rewind Lever missing Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Rollei 35: Film Rewind Lever missing « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Rizabbasi
Tinkerer
Username: Rizabbasi

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, March 28, 2011 - 01:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello,

The Film Rewind Lever of my Rollei 35 is missing. Is there a way that I can turn it in case of rewinding the film.

Thanking you in anticipation.

Regards,
Rollei 35

Msiegel
Tinkerer
Username: Msiegel

Post Number: 228

Posted on Monday, March 28, 2011 - 04:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello,
the screw you are seeing is not original and I guess a previous owner has put it there to act as the film release lever. The original lever sits downwards when locking and for rewinding the film you need to turn it 180 degrees counter-clockwise so that it points upwards. So try if the screw rotates by 180 degrees.
You can easily check if that screw is actually working as a film release lever when opening the back of the camera and flipping down the pressure plate. If the sprocket wheel turns freely in both directions the release is disengaged (for rewinding) if you can't it's in locked position for shooting.
If the screw realy works as relase lever it could be a good idea to put a mark on it so you don't mix up and down position. No harm done by marking it as it is not original.
If needed I can make pics of the original lever on my Rollei 35 - just let me know.
I'm not sure how familiar you are with mechanical cameras - the actual rewinding is of course done with the lever on the bottom of the camera.
Hope it helps.
Martin

Rizabbasi
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Monday, March 28, 2011 - 05:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello Martin,

Thanks a lot for the detailed response. I have picture of original Rollei 35, thanks for the offer.

I will try your solution. Please let me know what the usage of Film Rewind Lever if the main control is Film Rewind Crank at the bottom?

Take care and regards,

Riz

Msiegel
Tinkerer
Username: Msiegel

Post Number: 229

Posted on Monday, March 28, 2011 - 06:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Riz,

You use the rewind crank to spool the film back into the canister. The small rewind lever, when engaged, lets the sprocket wheel inside the camera turn only in one direction, the direction the film moves when winding on for the next frame. This is to prevent that film accidentally is wound back (partially) which would result in overlapping frames.
If you want to wind the film back into the canister to take it out of the camera you need to unblock the sprocket wheel so that it can rotate in reverse direction. If you do not do that the perforation of the film will be torn or the film will rip off the spool inside the canister when you try to rewind it.
Hope it helps.
Martin

Rizabbasi
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Monday, March 28, 2011 - 01:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Martin. So what I got is, by moving lever up (arrow position) the spool moves only in one direction.

I hope I will able to play with that screw to lock it before rewinding :-)

Please visit my photography website whenever you have time, the URL is http://www.rizabbasi.com

Take care and regards,

Riz

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration